Encapsulating a disk slice only.. - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Encapsulating a disk slice only.. - Veritas Volume Manager ; I'm experimenting with an interesting scenario and wonder if anyone out there has had a similar experience. I have a disk which is configured with DiskSuite, except for one slice. I've installed VXvm and would like to just encapsulate the ...

  1. Encapsulating a disk slice only..

    I'm experimenting with an interesting scenario and wonder if
    anyone out there has had a similar experience. I have a disk
    which is configured with DiskSuite, except for one slice. I've
    installed VXvm and would like to just encapsulate the one slice,
    excluding the others which are under DiskSuite control. Is this
    possible? Does anyone know if issues with this..

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Encapsulating a disk slice only..

    Hi Reginald,
    I am using a spare slice on an internal disk to contain my "dummy" rootdg.
    My internal disks are under disksuite control.
    So to answer your question, YES, it certainly is possible.
    Note that you ALWAYS need to have your rootdg mirrored.
    Tip, do a vxinstall and encapsulate an external disk (which has no data).

    Next move the external rootdg to the spare slice (e.g. slice 3) on either
    internal disks.
    these are teh sorts of commands you would be using:-

    vxconfigd -m disable;
    vxdctl init;
    vxdctl add disk c0t0d0s3 type=simple;
    vxdisk -f init c0t0d0s3 type=simple;
    vxdg adddisk c0t0d0s3;
    vxdctl enable;

    (the above commands would need to be done on a second spare slice
    also to ensure that rootdg is mirrored, e.g c0t1d0s3)

    Now remove the external disk that you would have encapsulated:-
    vxdg rmdisk disk01

    Hope the above is useful,
    rgds,
    Colin

    "Reginald Marshall" wrote:

    >I'm experimenting with an interesting scenario and wonder if
    >anyone out there has had a similar experience. I have a disk
    >which is configured with DiskSuite, except for one slice. I've
    >installed VXvm and would like to just encapsulate the one slice,
    >excluding the others which are under DiskSuite control. Is this
    >possible? Does anyone know if issues with this..
    >
    >Thanks!

  3. Encapsulating a disk slice only using VxVm 3.5

    Is this procedure still supported in VxvM 3.5 ?

    Thank's

    Patrice Cosson
    cosson_patrice@emc.com

    "colin daly" wrote:

    >Hi Reginald,
    >I am using a spare slice on an internal disk to contain my "dummy" rootdg.
    >My internal disks are under disksuite control.
    >So to answer your question, YES, it certainly is possible.
    >Note that you ALWAYS need to have your rootdg mirrored.
    >Tip, do a vxinstall and encapsulate an external disk (which has no data).
    >
    >Next move the external rootdg to the spare slice (e.g. slice 3) on either
    >internal disks.
    >these are teh sorts of commands you would be using:-
    >
    >vxconfigd -m disable;
    >vxdctl init;
    >vxdctl add disk c0t0d0s3 type=simple;
    >vxdisk -f init c0t0d0s3 type=simple;
    >vxdg adddisk c0t0d0s3;
    >vxdctl enable;
    >
    >(the above commands would need to be done on a second spare slice
    > also to ensure that rootdg is mirrored, e.g c0t1d0s3)
    >

    >Now remove the external disk that you would have encapsulated:-
    >vxdg rmdisk disk01
    >
    >Hope the above is useful,
    >rgds,
    >Colin
    >

    >"Reginald Marshall" wrote:
    >>
    >>I'm experimenting with an interesting scenario and wonder if
    >>anyone out there has had a similar experience. I have a disk
    >>which is configured with DiskSuite, except for one slice. I've
    >>installed VXvm and would like to just encapsulate the one slice,
    >>excluding the others which are under DiskSuite control. Is this
    >>possible? Does anyone know if issues with this..
    >>
    >>Thanks!

  4. Re: Encapsulating a disk slice only using VxVm 3.5

    Not supported !!

    Is possible to do this (it will still work), but the biggest problems are
    the following:

    1. disks slices will be listed in /etc/vx/volboot file
    2. do vxdctl init and they are gone !!!! - Volume Manager will not start
    3. loose your boot disk (with the slice) and the volboot still points at
    it - Volume Manager will not start (even if you start from a mirror)
    4. Edit your volboot file (to change the slice containing rootdg) and you
    might stuff it up - invalid volboot = no Volume Manager

    "Cosson Patrice" wrote:

    >Is this procedure still supported in VxvM 3.5 ?
    >
    >Thank's
    >
    >Patrice Cosson
    >cosson_patrice@emc.com
    >
    >"colin daly" wrote:
    >>
    >>Hi Reginald,
    >>I am using a spare slice on an internal disk to contain my "dummy" rootdg.
    >>My internal disks are under disksuite control.
    >>So to answer your question, YES, it certainly is possible.
    >>Note that you ALWAYS need to have your rootdg mirrored.
    >>Tip, do a vxinstall and encapsulate an external disk (which has no data).
    >>
    >>Next move the external rootdg to the spare slice (e.g. slice 3) on either
    >>internal disks.
    >>these are teh sorts of commands you would be using:-
    >>
    >>vxconfigd -m disable;
    >>vxdctl init;
    >>vxdctl add disk c0t0d0s3 type=simple;
    >>vxdisk -f init c0t0d0s3 type=simple;
    >>vxdg adddisk c0t0d0s3;
    >>vxdctl enable;
    >>
    >>(the above commands would need to be done on a second spare slice
    >> also to ensure that rootdg is mirrored, e.g c0t1d0s3)
    >>

    >>Now remove the external disk that you would have encapsulated:-
    >>vxdg rmdisk disk01
    >>
    >>Hope the above is useful,
    >>rgds,
    >>Colin
    >>

    >>"Reginald Marshall" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>I'm experimenting with an interesting scenario and wonder if
    >>>anyone out there has had a similar experience. I have a disk
    >>>which is configured with DiskSuite, except for one slice. I've
    >>>installed VXvm and would like to just encapsulate the one slice,
    >>>excluding the others which are under DiskSuite control. Is this
    >>>possible? Does anyone know if issues with this..
    >>>
    >>>Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread