Can't see my EMC Disks??? - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Can't see my EMC Disks??? - Veritas Volume Manager ; We have an EMC 3930 connected to a EMC(Brocade) switch connected to a SUN 420R running Solaris 2.6. We are using EMC's Volume Logics software. With "format" or EMC's "inq" the disk show-up fine on the SUN. When we try ...

  1. Can't see my EMC Disks???

    We have an EMC 3930 connected to a EMC(Brocade) switch connected to a SUN
    420R running Solaris 2.6. We are using EMC's Volume Logics software. With
    "format" or EMC's "inq" the disk show-up fine on the SUN. When we try to
    configure Volume Mangers it only sees the Volume Logics database device and
    none of the EMC drives???

  2. Re: Can't see my EMC Disks???

    MAybe u must to check /drv/kernel.sd.conf file , maybe the problem is in
    LUN configure .U must to check about the tagets and Luns don't repeat any
    target with the same Lun.

    Todd Loeppke wrote:

    > We have an EMC 3930 connected to a EMC(Brocade) switch connected to a SUN
    > 420R running Solaris 2.6. We are using EMC's Volume Logics software. With
    > "format" or EMC's "inq" the disk show-up fine on the SUN. When we try to
    > configure Volume Mangers it only sees the Volume Logics database device and
    > none of the EMC drives???

  3. Re: Can't see my EMC Disks???

    I have seen this same problem. The Sun system could see the EMC drives but
    Volume Manager could not.
    What I had to do is run the format command and label each disk on the EMC
    then run the Volume Manager again.

    Deicy

    "Todd Loeppke" wrote:

    >We have an EMC 3930 connected to a EMC(Brocade) switch connected to a SUN
    >420R running Solaris 2.6. We are using EMC's Volume Logics software. With
    >"format" or EMC's "inq" the disk show-up fine on the SUN. When we try to
    >configure Volume Mangers it only sees the Volume Logics database device

    and
    >none of the EMC drives???

  4. Re: Can't see my EMC Disks???

    Be careful with these SAN supplier. DMP has a habit of not seeing the
    the Veritas disks after reboots. Try disabling DMP and run vxdctl
    enable. This is a known bug with Veritas in SAN environments.
    Easy to get caught out.

    "Deicy" wrote:

    >I have seen this same problem. The Sun system could see the EMC drives

    but
    >Volume Manager could not.
    >What I had to do is run the format command and label each disk on the EMC
    >then run the Volume Manager again.
    >
    >Deicy
    >

    >"Todd Loeppke" wrote:
    >>
    >>We have an EMC 3930 connected to a EMC(Brocade) switch connected to a SUN
    >>420R running Solaris 2.6. We are using EMC's Volume Logics software.

    With
    >>"format" or EMC's "inq" the disk show-up fine on the SUN. When we try

    >>configure Volume Mangers it only sees the Volume Logics database device

    >and
    >>none of the EMC drives???

  5. Re: Can't see my EMC Disks???

    For EMC you need to buy a VM version the one included with Sun Storage Products
    is not enough.

    There´s another thing if you are using BCV´s this will corrupt your information
    and will make you to lost everything, EMC´s has it´s own VM version.

    Regards.

    Juan

    "Colin Quang" wrote:

    >Be careful with these SAN supplier. DMP has a habit of not seeing the
    >the Veritas disks after reboots. Try disabling DMP and run vxdctl
    >enable. This is a known bug with Veritas in SAN environments.
    >Easy to get caught out.
    >
    >"Deicy" wrote:
    >>
    >>I have seen this same problem. The Sun system could see the EMC drives

    >but
    >>Volume Manager could not.
    >>What I had to do is run the format command and label each disk on the EMC
    >>then run the Volume Manager again.
    >>
    >>Deicy
    >>

    >>"Todd Loeppke" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>We have an EMC 3930 connected to a EMC(Brocade) switch connected to a

    SUN
    >>>420R running Solaris 2.6. We are using EMC's Volume Logics software.

    >With
    >>>"format" or EMC's "inq" the disk show-up fine on the SUN. When we try

    >>>configure Volume Mangers it only sees the Volume Logics database device

    >>and
    >>>none of the EMC drives???

  6. Re: Can't see my EMC Disks???

    FYI,
    Sometimes a boot -r does not catch all of the newly added devices. Before
    you go and buy another version of Veritas, run the follwing commands, they
    are non-impacting and can be run on an active system:
    vxdctl init
    vxdctl enable

    Depending on the number of disks on your system, this can run for a couple
    of minutes.

    - J. Williams

    "Juan" wrote:

    >For EMC you need to buy a VM version the one included with Sun Storage Products
    >is not enough.
    >
    >There´s another thing if you are using BCV´s this will corrupt your information
    >and will make you to lost everything, EMC´s has it´s own VM version.
    >
    >Regards.
    >

    >Juan
    >

    >"Colin Quang" wrote:
    >>
    >>Be careful with these SAN supplier. DMP has a habit of not seeing the
    >>the Veritas disks after reboots. Try disabling DMP and run vxdctl
    >>enable. This is a known bug with Veritas in SAN environments.
    >>Easy to get caught out.
    >>
    >>"Deicy" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>I have seen this same problem. The Sun system could see the EMC drives

    >>but
    >>>Volume Manager could not.
    >>>What I had to do is run the format command and label each disk on the

    EMC
    >>>then run the Volume Manager again.
    >>>
    >>>Deicy

    >SUN

    >>With

    >>>and

  7. Re: Can't see my EMC Disks???

    If you are using JNI cards change the fcaw.conf entry from fcaw* to nonjni
    or fas

    "John Williams" wrote:

    >FYI,
    >Sometimes a boot -r does not catch all of the newly added devices. Before
    >you go and buy another version of Veritas, run the follwing commands, they
    >are non-impacting and can be run on an active system:
    >vxdctl init
    >vxdctl enable
    >
    >Depending on the number of disks on your system, this can run for a couple
    >of minutes.
    >
    >- J. Williams
    >
    >"Juan" wrote:
    >>
    >>For EMC you need to buy a VM version the one included with Sun Storage

    Products
    >>is not enough.
    >>
    >>There´s another thing if you are using BCV´s this will corrupt your information
    >>and will make you to lost everything, EMC´s has it´s own VM version.
    >>
    >>Regards.
    >>

    >>Juan
    >>

    >>"Colin Quang" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Be careful with these SAN supplier. DMP has a habit of not seeing the

    >>>the Veritas disks after reboots. Try disabling DMP and run vxdctl
    >>>enable. This is a known bug with Veritas in SAN environments.
    >>>Easy to get caught out.

    >>>but

    >EMC

    >>SUN