New installation fails with "vxdmp module is not loaded on the system" - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on New installation fails with "vxdmp module is not loaded on the system" - Veritas Volume Manager ; Hi, I have just installed Veritas Volume Manager 3.1 on a Sun Ultra Enterprise 450 running Solaris 8. When we try to set it up it does not work. This is a brand new machine, taken out of the packaging ...

  1. New installation fails with "vxdmp module is not loaded on the system"

    Hi,
    I have just installed Veritas Volume Manager 3.1 on a Sun Ultra Enterprise
    450 running Solaris 8. When we try to set it up it does not work.
    This is a brand new machine, taken out of the packaging and installed yesterday.

    Problem Details:

    * Installed software as per Installation Guide
    * Installed licenses as per Installation Guide
    * Ran vxinstall as per installation guide
    * Selected "Quick" installation
    * Asked for root disk to be included in configuration
    * Got error message:

    vxvm:vxdmpadm: ERROR: vxdmp module is not loaded on the system. Command invalid.

    We have tried removing and re-installing the software but we still get the
    same problem.

    Any advice will be appreciated.

    Oleg

  2. Re: New installation fails with "vxdmp module is not loaded on the system"

    "Oleg" wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I have just installed Veritas Volume Manager 3.1 on a Sun Ultra Enterprise
    >450 running Solaris 8. When we try to set it up it does not work.
    >This is a brand new machine, taken out of the packaging and installed yesterday.
    >
    >Problem Details:
    >
    >* Installed software as per Installation Guide
    >* Installed licenses as per Installation Guide
    >* Ran vxinstall as per installation guide
    >* Selected "Quick" installation
    >* Asked for root disk to be included in configuration
    >* Got error message:
    >
    >vxvm:vxdmpadm: ERROR: vxdmp module is not loaded on the system. Command

    invalid.

    >We have tried removing and re-installing the software but we still get the
    >same problem.
    >
    >Any advice will be appreciated.
    >
    >Oleg

    Do the following:
    rm /kernel/drv/vxdmp
    remove "forceload: drv/vxdmp" from /etc/system
    rm -rf /dev/vx/dmp /dev/vx/rdmp
    ln -s /dev/dsk /dev/vx/dmp
    ln -s /dev/rdsk /dev/vx/rdmp
    reboot -- -r