vxrestore need help! - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on vxrestore need help! - Veritas Volume Manager ; Hi all, Does anyone know and understand how to do a safe and reliable vxrestore from one Veritas filesystem to another one much like one would do a ufsrestore /directory1/files /directory2/files??? I cannot find anything in any of the Veritas ...

  1. vxrestore need help!

    Hi all,

    Does anyone know and understand how to do a safe and reliable vxrestore from
    one Veritas filesystem to another one much like one would do a ufsrestore
    /directory1/files /directory2/files???
    I cannot find anything in any of the Veritas vxfs or volume manager manuals
    and the man page on vxrestore is confusing at best.

    Thanks

    Ben P, System Engineer
    FHS

  2. Re: vxrestore need help!

    How about the following command:
    # vxdump 0f - /directory1 | ( cd /directory2; vxrestore xf - )
    This will preserve all permissions, links, owner/group etc.

    "Ben P" wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >Does anyone know and understand how to do a safe and reliable vxrestore

    from
    >one Veritas filesystem to another one much like one would do a ufsrestore
    >/directory1/files /directory2/files???
    >I cannot find anything in any of the Veritas vxfs or volume manager manuals
    >and the man page on vxrestore is confusing at best.
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Ben P, System Engineer
    >FHS

  3. Re: vxrestore need help!

    JP
    Thanks! I had never seen vxrestore before.

    "jp" wrote:

    >How about the following command:
    ># vxdump 0f - /directory1 | ( cd /directory2; vxrestore xf - )
    >This will preserve all permissions, links, owner/group etc.
    >
    >"Ben P" wrote:
    >>
    >>Hi all,
    >>
    >>Does anyone know and understand how to do a safe and reliable vxrestore

    >from
    >>one Veritas filesystem to another one much like one would do a ufsrestore
    >>/directory1/files /directory2/files???
    >>I cannot find anything in any of the Veritas vxfs or volume manager manuals
    >>and the man page on vxrestore is confusing at best.
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>
    >>Ben P, System Engineer
    >>FHS

+ Reply to Thread