vxrelocd vs. vxsparecheck - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on vxrelocd vs. vxsparecheck - Veritas Volume Manager ; [Hmmm, the search engine at news.support.veritas.com doesn't seem to work...] /etc/init.d/vxvm-recover defaults to running vxrelocd, but has an option to run vxsparecheck instead. The two man pages sound very similar. What is the difference, and which is preferred? We are ...

  1. vxrelocd vs. vxsparecheck

    [Hmmm, the search engine at news.support.veritas.com
    doesn't seem to work...]

    /etc/init.d/vxvm-recover defaults to running vxrelocd, but
    has an option to run vxsparecheck instead. The two man pages
    sound very similar. What is the difference, and which is
    preferred?

    We are installing new VxVM 3.1/ Solaris 8 systems with encapsulated
    root disks. We have no legacy issues.

    Thanks for any information,

    --Bruce
    # Bruce Hamilton, Senior System Administrator
    # Sun Microsystems, ULAX01, Los Angeles CA, USA

  2. Re: vxrelocd vs. vxsparecheck

    Following info is taken from sunsolve:

    Hot relocation will in the event of a disk failure attempt to
    relocate the data to ANY free space available in that diskgroup.
    This can result in the subdisks from one disk being scattered
    over multiple disks. This feature will only kick in on mirrored/RAID5 volumes.
    This feature is usually not recommended as it can result in a lengthy
    reconstruction exercise to get the data back into it's original state.
    Hot relocation is always enabled in all diskgroups unless it is disabled
    manually.

    Hot sparing will in the event of a disk failure attempt to relocate
    the entire contents of the failed disk onto a designated hot spare disk.

    Check Infodoc 21882 for more info. I have posted couple lines from it, just
    in case
    if you dont have access to sunsolve.

    "Bruce A. Hamilton" wrote:

    >[Hmmm, the search engine at news.support.veritas.com
    >doesn't seem to work...]
    >
    >/etc/init.d/vxvm-recover defaults to running vxrelocd, but
    >has an option to run vxsparecheck instead. The two man pages
    >sound very similar. What is the difference, and which is
    >preferred?
    >
    >We are installing new VxVM 3.1/ Solaris 8 systems with encapsulated
    >root disks. We have no legacy issues.
    >
    >Thanks for any information,
    >
    >--Bruce
    ># Bruce Hamilton, Senior System Administrator
    ># Sun Microsystems, ULAX01, Los Angeles CA, USA

+ Reply to Thread