Hello All,

we've experianced some problems with veritas volumemanager storage administrator
3.0 for HP-UX 11 (!!)
let me explain the situation :

|--------| |---------|
| HP | | 8x |
| D380 |--scsi--------| SEAGATE |
|HP-UX 11| |ST34573WC|
| c1t5d0 | | |
|--------| |---------|

|--------------------|
| c0t15d0 | c1t15d0 |
| c0t14d0 | c1t14d0 |
| c0t13d0 | c1t13d0 |
| c0t12d0 | c1t12d0 |
|--------------------|

c0t12d0 = disk01
c0t13d0 = disk02
c0t14d0 = disk03
c0t15d0 = disk04
c1t12d0 = disk05
c1t13d0 = disk06
c1t14d0 = disk07
c1t15d0 = disk08

Now we've created a RAID5 vxfs volume of 20MB without logging. (disk01, disk02
and disk03)
So far so good..
now I've simulated a diskcrash by pulling out disk01 and disk03.
At first even after 15 minutes there is nothing to see.
The Veritas Volumemanager Storage Administrator (X11) displays no problems

(even a disk scan makes no difference)

- Question 1 : why isn't there an update every x minutes for the actual status?

Until I try to copy something to the mountpoint and the system gives an error,
the veritas volumemanager storage administrator displays for only ONE(!)
disk a red cross.
The RAID5 volume is set offline.. (red cross)
But when I look at the properties of the volume there is still only one disk
with a red cross.
(When there is only one disk offline a RAID5 volume shouldn't be offline)
So I looked at the properties of disk03 (the other "crashed" disk)
At the "Alert" tab there are disk problems reported ("paths to disk are disabled")
Now it seems that veritas has found that disk03 is "crashed"
but still there is no red cross for the disk.
even after en screen refresh.

- Question 2 : Is this a known issue or isn't it an issue at all?

# vxprint
Disk group: rootdg

TY NAME ASSOC KSTATE LENGTH PLOFFS STATE TUTIL0
PUTIL0
dg rootdg rootdg - - - - -
-

dm disk01 - - - - NODEVICE -
-
dm disk02 c0t13d0 - 4193005 - - -
-
dm disk03 c0t14d0 - 4193005 - - -
-
dm disk04 c0t15d0 - 4193005 - - -
-
dm disk05 c1t12d0 - 4193005 - - -
-
dm disk06 c1t13d0 - 4193005 - - -
-
dm disk07 c1t14d0 - 4193005 - - -
-
dm disk08 c1t15d0 - 4193005 - - -
-

v vol01 raid5 DETACHED 20000 - ACTIVE -
-
pl vol01-01 vol01 ENABLED 20000 - ACTIVE -
-
sd disk01-01 vol01-01 DISABLED 10000 0 NODEVICE -
-
sd disk02-01 vol01-01 ENABLED 10000 0 - -
-
sd disk03-01 vol01-01 ENABLED 10000 0 - -
-
#

Thanks for help!

Sybolt