time consuming for relayout, yes, but how long ?? - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on time consuming for relayout, yes, but how long ?? - Veritas Volume Manager ; Hi, I'm quite new to vxvm and I hope this is not a faq, but here goes. I have a stripped volume with 3 columns, I wan to extend that to 4 and add a new subdisk to the plex. ...

  1. time consuming for relayout, yes, but how long ??

    Hi, I'm quite new to vxvm and I hope this is not a faq, but
    here goes.
    I have a stripped volume with 3 columns, I wan to extend that to
    4 and add a new subdisk to the plex. I've issued the command:
    vxassist -g groupdisk relayout volname layout=stripe ncol=+1
    and now I'm waiting.... and here is some output of
    vxtask -l list:
    Progress: 14.36% 7608784 of 53003520 Blocks
    Work time: 27 minutes, 4 seconds (2:41:28 remaining)

    as you can see it's just 53003520 blocks (about 12gb) and it's going to take
    3 hours ?!?! This is just me playing around ...
    what about when I'll do that at the production site ? how will it be for
    100-120gb ?

    I also remember adding once a new stripe to a SDS,
    on a 25gb disk
    that took less then a minute. Am I doing something wrong ?

    Appreciate any help,
    Guy.

  2. Re: time consuming for relayout, yes, but how long ??

    > as you can see it's just 53003520 blocks (about 12gb) and it's going
    > to take 3 hours ?!?! This is just me playing around ... what about
    > when I'll do that at the production site ? how will it be for
    > 100-120gb ?

    That is highly dependent on the speed of your disks. As far as I've
    been able to tell, VxVM moves _all_ the data on the volume when you do
    a relayout.

    Then again, does it really matter if it takes a long time? It's not
    like it's offline while it rebuilds. Performance degrades a bit, but
    not disastrously.
    --
    Calle Dybedahl, Vasav. 82, S-175 32 Jaerfaella,SWEDEN | calle@lysator.liu.se

  3. Re: time consuming for relayout, yes, but how long ??

    Calle Dybedahl wrote:
    >Then again, does it really matter if it takes a long time? It's not
    >like it's offline while it rebuilds. Performance degrades a bit, but
    >not disastrously.

    Yes, I had a logical mistake in understanding the use of columns, which i
    tought to be the amount of disks that are being stripe.

    >--
    > Calle Dybedahl, Vasav. 82, S-175 32 Jaerfaella,SWEDEN | calle@lysator.liu.se

    Thank you,
    Guy Cohen.