Simulating disk failure - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Simulating disk failure - Veritas Volume Manager ; I've been asked to test failover on a system using a disk mirror. The customer seems to think that all I need to do is physically remove one of the disks from one of the arrays and watch as the ...

  1. Simulating disk failure

    I've been asked to test failover on a system using a disk mirror. The
    customer seems to think that all I need to do is physically remove one of
    the disks from one of the arrays and watch as the system seamlessly
    swaitches to the mirror. Understandably I would rather perform the test in a
    more controlled manner as several other systems use the same arrays and the
    chance of pulling the wrong disk is high. Is there any way within volume
    manager that I can simulate a disk failure e.g. taking an individual disk
    offline, and invoke the mirror to keep the system running. I also need to
    show that the failed disk will resynchronise when brought back online.

    JJ

  2. Re: Simulating disk failure

    Very easy with solaris: use "format" and modify some slices.

    john.martin@newellandbudge.co.uk escribió:

    > I've been asked to test failover on a system using a disk mirror. The
    > customer seems to think that all I need to do is physically remove one of
    > the disks from one of the arrays and watch as the system seamlessly
    > swaitches to the mirror. Understandably I would rather perform the test in a
    > more controlled manner as several other systems use the same arrays and the
    > chance of pulling the wrong disk is high. Is there any way within volume
    > manager that I can simulate a disk failure e.g. taking an individual disk
    > offline, and invoke the mirror to keep the system running. I also need to
    > show that the failed disk will resynchronise when brought back online.
    >
    > JJ

+ Reply to Thread