vxassist error trying to change volume layout - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on vxassist error trying to change volume layout - Veritas Volume Manager ; I'm trying to free up a disk in a 3 column stripe, and change it to a 2 column stripe. There is very little data on the existing stripe, and I've resized the volume, down, by 25%, but issuing the ...

  1. vxassist error trying to change volume layout

    I'm trying to free up a disk in a 3 column stripe, and change it to a
    2 column stripe. There is very little data on the existing stripe, and
    I've resized the volume, down, by 25%, but issuing the following command
    "vxassist -g nfsdg relayout nfsvol ncol=-1" still yields the following
    error message:

    vxvm:vxassist: ERROR: Cannot allocate space for 6329344 block volume

    I have searched this newsgroup, dejanews, and the knowledge-base, with
    and have had no luck in finding a solution. Any ideas?

    I get a similar message when I attempt to create a snapshot:

    >snapstart nfsvol

    vxvm:vxassist: ERROR: Cannot allocate space to mirror 37976064 block volume

    Thanks.

  2. Re: vxassist error trying to change volume layout

    > vxvm:vxassist: ERROR: Cannot allocate space for 6329344 block volume

    > vxvm:vxassist: ERROR: Cannot allocate space to mirror 37976064 block

    It's quite easy. VxVM wants some free space (temporary for the
    relayout, permanent for the snapmirror) and it can't find any (or at
    least not enough of it). "vxdg free" and "vxassist maxsize" should let
    you see how much free space VxVM thinks you have.
    --
    Calle Dybedahl, Vasav. 82, S-175 32 Jaerfaella,SWEDEN | calle@lysator.liu.se

  3. Re: vxassist error trying to change volume layout

    I guess I misunderstood what VM considers "free space". As the volume
    contains very little data, I thought that VM would also use any available
    space in the file system to assist with the re-layout. I had resized the
    volume to two thirds of it's original size, but that was obviously not
    enough. Thanks for your help.

    Calle Dybedahl wrote:

    >> vxvm:vxassist: ERROR: Cannot allocate space for 6329344 block volume

    >> vxvm:vxassist: ERROR: Cannot allocate space to mirror 37976064 block

    >It's quite easy. VxVM wants some free space (temporary for the
    >relayout, permanent for the snapmirror) and it can't find any (or at
    >least not enough of it). "vxdg free" and "vxassist maxsize" should let
    >you see how much free space VxVM thinks you have.
    >--
    > Calle Dybedahl, Vasav. 82, S-175 32 Jaerfaella,SWEDEN | calle@lysator.liu.se

  4. Re: vxassist error trying to change volume layout

    I have the same problem here with Veritas VM 3.0.4. VxVM doesn't find enough
    temporary disk space for the relayout, although there are 71 Gb available.

    # vxassist -g rootdg relayout voldb ncol=-1
    vxvm:vxassist: ERROR: Cannot allocate space for 2428032 block volume
    # vxassist maxsize
    Maximum volume size: 146884608 (71721Mb)
    # vxdg free
    GROUP DISK DEVICE TAG OFFSET LENGTH FLAGS
    rootdg disk01 c5t8d0s2 c5t8d0 0 35539680 -
    rootdg mirrored01 c5t13d0s2 c5t13d0 14568064 20971616 -
    rootdg mirrored02 c5t10d0s2 c5t10d0 14568064 20971616 -
    rootdg mirrored03 c5t11d0s2 c5t11d0 14568064 20971616 -
    rootdg mirrored04 c5t12d0s2 c5t12d0 14568064 20971616 -
    rootdg mirrored05 c5t6d0s2 c5t6d0 14568064 20971616 -
    rootdg mirrored07 c5t9d0s2 c5t9d0 14568064 1376 -
    rootdg mirrored07 c5t9d0s2 c5t9d0 29137504 6402176 -
    rootdg rootdisk c0t0d0s2 c0t0d0 35316439 47120 -
    rootdg rootmirror c1t4d0s2 c1t4d0 35316440 47120 -

    "Saul" wrote:

    >I guess I misunderstood what VM considers "free space". As the volume
    >contains very little data, I thought that VM would also use any available
    >space in the file system to assist with the re-layout. I had resized the
    >volume to two thirds of it's original size, but that was obviously not
    >enough. Thanks for your help.

    >>> vxvm:vxassist: ERROR: Cannot allocate space for 6329344 block volume

    >>> vxvm:vxassist: ERROR: Cannot allocate space to mirror 37976064 block

    >>It's quite easy. VxVM wants some free space (temporary for the
    >>relayout, permanent for the snapmirror) and it can't find any (or at
    >>least not enough of it). "vxdg free" and "vxassist maxsize" should let
    >>you see how much free space VxVM thinks you have.
    >>--
    >> Calle Dybedahl, Vasav. 82, S-175 32 Jaerfaella,SWEDEN | calle@lysator.liu.se

+ Reply to Thread