V.M> with Solaris RAID Manager - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on V.M> with Solaris RAID Manager - Veritas Volume Manager ; I Installed Solaris 7 11/99 on a SUN E4500 connected to 1ea. SUN D1000 (boot) and 2ea. A1000's (12x18gb) with recommended patches, then Solaris RAID Manager (2.6? 6.2?((came w/ A1000's)), and Veritas Volume Manager 3.0.4. I was able to mirror ...

  1. V.M> with Solaris RAID Manager

    I Installed Solaris 7 11/99 on a SUN E4500 connected to 1ea.
    SUN D1000 (boot) and 2ea. A1000's (12x18gb) with recommended
    patches, then Solaris RAID Manager (2.6? 6.2?((came w/ A1000's)),
    and Veritas Volume Manager 3.0.4. I was able to mirror the disks
    in the D1000 but VM won't address the A1000's properly. The original setting
    of the A1000's was RAID 5 and chopped the boxes into 4 LUNS. The customer
    wants all 12 disks in one box as a
    group at RAID 0. I deleted the LUNS and created the desired
    RAID setting in RAID Manager but the VMSA now sees two more
    controller instances that equal the original controllers.
    Boot -r is not helping. Every time I try to initialize an
    A1000 I get an error that says it is not a valid vxdisk
    object or driver. Despite this VMSA actually went out at
    one point and created a private region on the A1000. Still
    unable to bring the A1000's under VMSA control. Is this
    possibly a device link problem or have I made some fatal error
    somewhere?

  2. Re: V.M> with Solaris RAID Manager

    See sun bugid 4330270
    Only catch is the bug states Sol 8 is the only os having the problem. It sounds
    like your issue, though.
    Paul McKinley

    Scott Cornwell wrote:

    > I Installed Solaris 7 11/99 on a SUN E4500 connected to 1ea.
    > SUN D1000 (boot) and 2ea. A1000's (12x18gb) with recommended
    > patches, then Solaris RAID Manager (2.6? 6.2?((came w/ A1000's)),
    > and Veritas Volume Manager 3.0.4. I was able to mirror the disks
    > in the D1000 but VM won't address the A1000's properly. The original setting
    > of the A1000's was RAID 5 and chopped the boxes into 4 LUNS. The customer
    > wants all 12 disks in one box as a
    > group at RAID 0. I deleted the LUNS and created the desired
    > RAID setting in RAID Manager but the VMSA now sees two more
    > controller instances that equal the original controllers.
    > Boot -r is not helping. Every time I try to initialize an
    > A1000 I get an error that says it is not a valid vxdisk
    > object or driver. Despite this VMSA actually went out at
    > one point and created a private region on the A1000. Still
    > unable to bring the A1000's under VMSA control. Is this
    > possibly a device link problem or have I made some fatal error
    > somewhere?

+ Reply to Thread