permanent license not being recognized after re-installing VM - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on permanent license not being recognized after re-installing VM - Veritas Volume Manager ; Hello, i re-installed VM on a system and entered the required permanent license key using vxlicense -c.The license is taken up ,but vxinstall(encapsulation)fails with following message "no valid license found" anbody has any ideas.??Sun says the license is valid as ...

  1. permanent license not being recognized after re-installing VM

    Hello,
    i re-installed VM on a system and entered the required permanent license
    key using vxlicense -c.The license is taken up ,but vxinstall(encapsulation)fails
    with following message
    "no valid license found"

    anbody has any ideas.??Sun says the license is valid as long as the host
    id and serial no.s are the same.By the way,are the Veritas Product serial
    numbers used anywhere at all during intalling VM other than being required
    for the kicense key.
    Shabaz.

  2. Re: permanent license not being recognized after re-installing VM

    Shabaz wrote:

    > Hello,
    > i re-installed VM on a system and entered the required permanent license
    > key using vxlicense -c.The license is taken up ,but vxinstall(encapsulation)fails
    > with following message
    > "no valid license found"
    >
    > anbody has any ideas.??Sun says the license is valid as long as the host
    > id and serial no.s are the same.By the way,are the Veritas Product serial
    > numbers used anywhere at all during intalling VM other than being required
    > for the kicense key.
    > Shabaz.

    To be sure about your license status run #vxlicense -p and #vxserial -p.
    Try again with #vxserial -c and add your license again.

    Cidi.com S.A
    Pedro Esteban Morris Daly Tacuari 135 (CP 1071) Cap.Fed.
    Buenos Aires - Argentina
    Division Soporte Tel: (541)4334-9959
    Fax: (541)4334-0228
    pgp key at http://wwwkeys.pgp.net

  3. Re: permanent license not being recognized after re-installing VM

    "Shabaz" wrote:

    >Hello,
    >i re-installed VM on a system and entered the required permanent license
    >key using vxlicense -c.The license is taken up ,but vxinstall(encapsulation)fails
    >with following message
    >"no valid license found"
    >
    >anbody has any ideas.??Sun says the license is valid as long as the host
    >id and serial no.s are the same.By the way,are the Veritas Product serial
    >numbers used anywhere at all during intalling VM other than being required
    >for the kicense key.
    >Shabaz.

    I had the same problem on a couple of E450's, and it had me baffled
    In the end, I used

    vxdctl license [init]

    With an argument of init, request that vxconfigd re-
    read any persistently stored license information. If
    licenses have expired, then this may cause some
    features to become unavailable. If new licenses have
    been added, this will make the features defined in
    those licenses available.

    Good luck,
    regards,
    Dirk Verhoeff

  4. Re: permanent license not being recognized after re-installing VM

    You might also try deleting the license files in /etc and re-adding them.
    If you've entered permanent license keys for a system other than the one
    you're on (ie, maybe you're cloning systems) you may run into problems if
    you don't.

    Michael Traves

    "Dirk Verhoeff" wrote in message

    > "Shabaz" wrote:
    > >
    > >Hello,
    > >i re-installed VM on a system and entered the required permanent license
    > >key using vxlicense -c.The license is taken up ,but

    vxinstall(encapsulation)fails
    > >with following message
    > >"no valid license found"
    > >
    > >anbody has any ideas.??Sun says the license is valid as long as the host
    > >id and serial no.s are the same.By the way,are the Veritas Product serial
    > >numbers used anywhere at all during intalling VM other than being

    required
    > >for the kicense key.
    > >Shabaz.

    > I had the same problem on a couple of E450's, and it had me baffled
    > In the end, I used
    >
    > vxdctl license [init]
    >
    > With an argument of init, request that vxconfigd re-
    > read any persistently stored license information. If
    > licenses have expired, then this may cause some
    > features to become unavailable. If new licenses have
    > been added, this will make the features defined in
    > those licenses available.
    >
    > Good luck,
    > regards,
    > Dirk Verhoeff

  5. Re: permanent license not being recognized after re-installing VM

    We had the same problem on some of our older systems when the licenses were
    originally installed with the vxserial command. Although the "vxlicense -p"
    showed valid keys.
    So I reran "vxserial -c" and entered the license keys again and it worked.
    Something to try anyways.

    Steve

    "Michael Traves" wrote:
    >You might also try deleting the license files in /etc and re-adding them.
    >If you've entered permanent license keys for a system other than the one
    >you're on (ie, maybe you're cloning systems) you may run into problems if
    >you don't.
    >
    >Michael Traves
    >
    >"Dirk Verhoeff" wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Shabaz" wrote:
    >> >
    >> >Hello,
    >> >i re-installed VM on a system and entered the required permanent license
    >> >key using vxlicense -c.The license is taken up ,but

    >vxinstall(encapsulation)fails
    >> >with following message
    >> >"no valid license found"
    >> >
    >> >anbody has any ideas.??Sun says the license is valid as long as the host
    >> >id and serial no.s are the same.By the way,are the Veritas Product serial
    >> >numbers used anywhere at all during intalling VM other than being

    >required
    >> >for the kicense key.
    >> >Shabaz.

    >> I had the same problem on a couple of E450's, and it had me baffled
    >> In the end, I used
    >>
    >> vxdctl license [init]
    >>
    >> With an argument of init, request that vxconfigd re-
    >> read any persistently stored license information. If
    >> licenses have expired, then this may cause some
    >> features to become unavailable. If new licenses have
    >> been added, this will make the features defined in
    >> those licenses available.
    >>
    >> Good luck,
    >> regards,
    >> Dirk Verhoeff

  6. Re: permanent license not being recognized after re-installing VM

    The vxinstall script does not, on Solaris, use vxlicense to check if you have
    a valid license.

    It uses /usr/lib/vxvm/bin/vxliccheck. I have seen this error when /var/adm/wtmp
    was corrupt resulting in exactly the error message seen below. A truss of
    this program on a working system
    shows that it opens a number of files including wtmp.

    hope this helps

    Angelo

    "steve mitchell" wrote:

    >We had the same problem on some of our older systems when the licenses were
    >originally installed with the vxserial command. Although the "vxlicense

    -p"
    >showed valid keys.
    >So I reran "vxserial -c" and entered the license keys again and it worked.
    >Something to try anyways.
    >
    >Steve
    >

    >"Michael Traves" wrote:
    >>You might also try deleting the license files in /etc and re-adding them.
    >>If you've entered permanent license keys for a system other than the one
    >>you're on (ie, maybe you're cloning systems) you may run into problems

    if
    >>you don't.
    >>
    >>Michael Traves
    >>
    >>"Dirk Verhoeff" wrote in message

    >>vxinstall(encapsulation)fails

    host

    >>required
    >>>
    >>> I had the same problem on a couple of E450's, and it had me baffled
    >>> In the end, I used
    >>>
    >>> vxdctl license [init]
    >>>
    >>> With an argument of init, request that vxconfigd re-
    >>> read any persistently stored license information. If
    >>> licenses have expired, then this may cause some
    >>> features to become unavailable. If new licenses have
    >>> been added, this will make the features defined in
    >>> those licenses available.
    >>>
    >>> Good luck,
    >>> regards,
    >>> Dirk Verhoeff