vxconfigd always starts in BOOT mode - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on vxconfigd always starts in BOOT mode - Veritas Volume Manager ; Hi all. AS you probably guessed - I'm new tothe veritas world. I have done a fresh install of veritas vm and performed the manual procedure to configure rootdg. (TechNote ID 206641). Unfortunately, every time the system reboots - the ...

  1. vxconfigd always starts in BOOT mode

    Hi all.

    AS you probably guessed - I'm new tothe veritas world. I have done a fresh
    install of veritas vm and performed the manual procedure to configure rootdg.
    (TechNote ID 206641). Unfortunately, every time the system reboots - the
    vxconfigd daemon starts on boot mode. I have to do a vxconfigd -k, then
    a vxdctl enable command to get the thing working properly.

    I have absolutely no idea why this happens - and what I have to do to get
    it going properly. I have read the manual - but still have ne clue.

    I would appreciate any advice that is offered.

    Regards, Peter Gill.

  2. Re: vxconfigd always starts in BOOT mode

    vxconfigd man page:

    boot Handle boot-time startup of the Volume
    Manager. This starts the rootdg disk
    group and the root and /usr file system
    volumes. This mode is capable of
    operating before the root file system is
    remounted to read-write. vxdctl enable
    should be called later in the boot
    sequence to trigger vxconfigd to rebuild
    the /dev/vx/dsk and /dev/vx/rdsk direc-
    tories.

    ==> vxdctl enable is not being run, for some reason, from
    /etc/rcS.d/S85vxvm-startup2. Or is but there is some other problem (timing
    issue, emc/jni/san involed ?).
    I would think the license may be bad or expired but then vxconfigd -k will
    fail as well.

    It's hard to say what the problem is. Try putting "set -x" in
    /etc/rcS.d/S85vxvm-startup2 to see what we hang on or what is not being
    executed...

    Check for any bootup error messages in /var/adm/messages.

    Make sure we do not have /etc/vx/reconfig.d/state.d/install-db file!

    Shutdown vxvm,
    # vxdctl stop
    # vxiod -f set 0

    Now try to start it manually in multiuser mode, does this work ?
    # vxiod set 10
    # vxconfigd -m disable
    # vxdctl init
    # vxdctl enable

    I would need to see more to figure this one out... Open a support call
    with Veritas...

    -Dan

    "Peter Gill" wrote in message

    > Hi all.
    >
    > AS you probably guessed - I'm new tothe veritas world. I have done a

    fresh
    > install of veritas vm and performed the manual procedure to configure

    rootdg.
    > (TechNote ID 206641). Unfortunately, every time the system reboots - the
    > vxconfigd daemon starts on boot mode. I have to do a vxconfigd -k, then
    > a vxdctl enable command to get the thing working properly.
    >
    > I have absolutely no idea why this happens - and what I have to do to get
    > it going properly. I have read the manual - but still have ne clue.
    >
    > I would appreciate any advice that is offered.
    >
    > Regards, Peter Gill.

+ Reply to Thread