Replacing disks in a striped/mirrored volume - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Replacing disks in a striped/mirrored volume - Veritas Volume Manager ; We're running VxVM 3.0 on Solaris 8, and I have a 24GB volume (striped, mirrored) that I'd like to increase in size. However, all the bays in the A1000 housing the volume are full. So: It looks like I'll have ...

  1. Replacing disks in a striped/mirrored volume

    We're running VxVM 3.0 on Solaris 8, and I have a 24GB volume (striped, mirrored)
    that I'd like to increase in size. However, all the bays in the A1000 housing
    the volume are full.

    So: It looks like I'll have to replace two of the 9GB with two 18GB disks
    to increase the size of the volume. I *can* remove two other disks temporarily,
    but they have to go back in the end

    Can I expand the volume to cover the two new disks, and then shrink the volume
    to free up two old 9GB disks? The main problem I see (apart from not having
    much of an idea how to do this is that the filesystm is UFS, which can
    be grown, but not shrunk.

    Has anyone done anything similar, or has anyone got any suggestions for alternative
    ways of replacing some disks with larger disks in a UFS volume?

    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

    Cheers,

    Giulio Harding, University of Adelaide

  2. Re: Replacing disks in a striped/mirrored volume

    Do you use 4 x 9GB disks in your stripe-mirror set? If you do,
    I don't think you can simply replace 2 of the 9GB drives. To my
    knowledge, for a striped set to work properly, the disks must be
    off the same characteristics. Otherwise, only half of your new
    18GB will be used for striping. If you mirror the striped set,
    the mirrored set must follow the same rule.

    I would get the entire set replaced with 18GB drives or even 36GB
    drives. First break the mirror, replace the 2 drives, configure
    a new stripe set, copy the data over, then replace the other 2
    drives and make the mirror.

  3. Re: Replacing disks in a striped/mirrored volume

    "sjen" wrote:

    >Do you use 4 x 9GB disks in your stripe-mirror set? If you do,
    >I don't think you can simply replace 2 of the 9GB drives. To my
    >knowledge, for a striped set to work properly, the disks must be
    >off the same characteristics. Otherwise, only half of your new
    >18GB will be used for striping. If you mirror the striped set,
    >the mirrored set must follow the same rule.
    >
    >I would get the entire set replaced with 18GB drives or even 36GB
    >drives. First break the mirror, replace the 2 drives, configure
    >a new stripe set, copy the data over, then replace the other 2
    >drives and make the mirror.

    Good point - yes, our set-up is like that. Well, disks are cheap enough,
    so I might as well upgrade the lot

    Thanks for the info!

+ Reply to Thread