vxvm:vxslicer: ERROR: Not enough free partitions - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on vxvm:vxslicer: ERROR: Not enough free partitions - Veritas Volume Manager ; Hello, fellows How to encapsulate an existed root disk ? When I run vxencap command on that disk , it prompt errors: It is not possible to encapsulate c0t0d0, for the following reason: I know the documents mentioned three conditions ...

  1. vxvm:vxslicer: ERROR: Not enough free partitions

    Hello, fellows

    How to encapsulate an existed root disk ?
    When I run vxencap command on that disk , it prompt errors:

    It is not possible to encapsulate c0t0d0, for the following reason:

    I know the documents mentioned three conditions about one
    cylinder free space and 2 free slices and backup slice. But what
    about a disk built not for encapsulation at first, then want to
    be encapsulated later ? I mean the one not prepaired for
    encapsulation particularly.

    I remember a expert said that boot disk encapsulation is just
    taking some space from swap area as private zone, then creat two
    partition named bootdiskpriv and rootdisk-B0 to protect private
    zone and block zero from overwriting. from here , I can't see
    any necessary for free space and free slices on that disk.

    any comments ?

    likun
    yours sincerely

  2. Re: vxvm:vxslicer: ERROR: Not enough free partitions

    You must at least have two free partitions to encapsulate a disk. We have
    to create a private and public regions on the disk. Public region is entire
    disk. Private region holds config database. Since there is usually no free
    space on disk we take 1024 sectors (default) from swap. If we have no swap
    partition to take space from then encapsulation will fail...

    So if you already have a disk with 6 partitons and only have one free
    then you will not be able to encapsulate the disk. Copy the data from one
    of the partions to somewhere else, and remove it, that's the only way I see
    you getting around this. And of course you also need 1024 sectors free
    for private region.

    Can shrink one of the partitions by 1024 sectors in format then shrink
    file system (if it is vxfs) with fsadm.
    But be carefull when doing this!

    -Dan

    "likun" wrote in message news:39c6f80e@hronntp01....

    > Hello, fellows
    >
    > How to encapsulate an existed root disk ?
    > When I run vxencap command on that disk , it prompt errors:
    >
    > It is not possible to encapsulate c0t0d0, for the following reason:
    >

    > I know the documents mentioned three conditions about one
    > cylinder free space and 2 free slices and backup slice. But what
    > about a disk built not for encapsulation at first, then want to
    > be encapsulated later ? I mean the one not prepaired for
    > encapsulation particularly.
    >
    > I remember a expert said that boot disk encapsulation is just
    > taking some space from swap area as private zone, then creat two
    > partition named bootdiskpriv and rootdisk-B0 to protect private
    > zone and block zero from overwriting. from here , I can't see
    > any necessary for free space and free slices on that disk.
    >
    > any comments ?
    >
    > likun
    > yours sincerely

  3. Re: vxvm:vxslicer: ERROR: Not enough free partitions

    I have 2 partitions free . Each partition is 5GB.

    partition 6 & 7 is empty.. no file systems mounted. I still
    get the vxslicer error of not enought free partitions.

    can you suggest anything ?

    0 root wm 0 - 434 1000.84MB (435/0/0) 2049720
    1 swap wu 435 - 869 1000.84MB (435/0/0) 2049720
    2 backup wu 0 - 7505 16.86GB (7506/0/0) 35368272
    3 var wm 870 - 1304 1000.84MB (435/0/0) 2049720
    4 usr wm 1305 - 1739 1000.84MB (435/0/0) 2049720
    5 unassigned wm 1740 - 2609 1.95GB (870/0/0) 4099440
    6 usr wm 2610 - 4835 5.00GB (2226/0/0) 10488912
    7 usr wm 4836 - 7061 5.00GB (2226/0/0) 10488912

    "Dan Liport" wrote:
    >You must at least have two free partitions to encapsulate a disk. We have
    >to create a private and public regions on the disk. Public region is entire
    >disk. Private region holds config database. Since there is usually no

    free
    >space on disk we take 1024 sectors (default) from swap. If we have no swap
    >partition to take space from then encapsulation will fail...
    >
    > So if you already have a disk with 6 partitons and only have one free
    >then you will not be able to encapsulate the disk. Copy the data from one
    >of the partions to somewhere else, and remove it, that's the only way I

    see
    >you getting around this. And of course you also need 1024 sectors free
    >for private region.
    >
    > Can shrink one of the partitions by 1024 sectors in format then shrink
    >file system (if it is vxfs) with fsadm.
    >But be carefull when doing this!
    >
    >-Dan
    >

    >"likun" wrote in message news:39c6f80e@hronntp01....
    >>
    >> Hello, fellows
    >>
    >> How to encapsulate an existed root disk ?
    >> When I run vxencap command on that disk , it prompt errors:
    >>
    >> It is not possible to encapsulate c0t0d0, for the following reason:
    >>

    >> I know the documents mentioned three conditions about one
    >> cylinder free space and 2 free slices and backup slice. But what
    >> about a disk built not for encapsulation at first, then want to
    >> be encapsulated later ? I mean the one not prepaired for
    >> encapsulation particularly.
    >>
    >> I remember a expert said that boot disk encapsulation is just
    >> taking some space from swap area as private zone, then creat two
    >> partition named bootdiskpriv and rootdisk-B0 to protect private
    >> zone and block zero from overwriting. from here , I can't see
    >> any necessary for free space and free slices on that disk.
    >>
    >> any comments ?
    >>
    >> likun
    >> yours sincerely

+ Reply to Thread