Upgrade to VXVM 3.0.4 fails with driver vxdmp added but failed to attach - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Upgrade to VXVM 3.0.4 fails with driver vxdmp added but failed to attach - Veritas Volume Manager ; I'm upgrading Solaris from 2.5.1 running Volume Manager 2.3 to Solaris 7 and Veritas Volume Manager 3.0.4. Ran upgrade_start, removed old VM packages and upgraded to Solaris 7, but when added the VXVM package it gave following error "Driver vxdmp ...

  1. Upgrade to VXVM 3.0.4 fails with driver vxdmp added but failed to attach

    I'm upgrading Solaris from 2.5.1 running Volume Manager 2.3 to Solaris 7 and
    Veritas Volume Manager 3.0.4. Ran upgrade_start, removed old VM packages
    and upgraded to Solaris 7, but when added the VXVM package it gave following
    error
    "Driver vxdmp successfully added to system but failed to attach".
    All Recommended patches for 2.7 have been added. Have a Sparc Server 1000
    and SSA 100

  2. Re: Upgrade to VXVM 3.0.4 fails with driver vxdmp added but failed to attach

    Ed,

    I'm having pretty much the same problem, except I was running VM 2.4.
    Did you figure it out? Thanks for any advice you might have to offer.
    I'm pretty desparate by now.

    Georgi

    "Ed Roberts" wrote:

    >I'm upgrading Solaris from 2.5.1 running Volume Manager 2.3 to Solaris 7

    and
    >Veritas Volume Manager 3.0.4. Ran upgrade_start, removed old VM packages
    >and upgraded to Solaris 7, but when added the VXVM package it gave following
    >error
    >"Driver vxdmp successfully added to system but failed to attach".
    >All Recommended patches for 2.7 have been added. Have a Sparc Server 1000
    >and SSA 100

  3. Re: Upgrade to VXVM 3.0.4 fails with driver vxdmp added but failed to attach

    "Georgi Kostov" wrote:

    >Ed,
    >
    >I'm having pretty much the same problem, except I was running VM 2.4.
    >Did you figure it out? Thanks for any advice you might have to offer.
    >I'm pretty desparate by now.
    >
    >Georgi
    >

    >"Ed Roberts" wrote:
    >>
    >>I'm upgrading Solaris from 2.5.1 running Volume Manager 2.3 to Solaris

    7
    >and
    >>Veritas Volume Manager 3.0.4. Ran upgrade_start, removed old VM packages
    >>and upgraded to Solaris 7, but when added the VXVM package it gave following
    >>error
    >>"Driver vxdmp successfully added to system but failed to attach".
    >>All Recommended patches for 2.7 have been added. Have a Sparc Server 1000
    >>and SSA 100

    We had the same problem upgrading our E3000 (with SSA 100) from Solaris 2.5.1
    and VM 2.4 to Solaris 7 and VM 3.0.4
    We found 2 problems related do drivers and DMP when attempt to finish the
    upgrade process:
    1- when attempt to load the drivers we had the error above and another telling
    about no major number assigned. Solution: add manually the driver name and
    major number (just using the next number available on the sequence) to /etc/name_to_major
    and reboot. Try finish the upgrade again.
    2- VM 2.4 and early versions don't have support do DMP and don't have /dev/vx/dmp
    or /dev/vx/rdmp. We don't use DMP on our installation. Solution: just soft
    link /dev/vx/dsk to /dev/vx/dmp and /dev/vx/rdsk to /dev/vx/rdmp and try
    the finish de upgrade again.

    Sergio L. Novaes
    CENAPAD-MG/CO - LCC/UFMG

  4. Re: Upgrade to VXVM 3.0.4 fails with driver vxdmp added but failed to attach

    I know this is a late post, hopefully you were able to
    resolve your upgrade issues.

    I had similar issues with Solaris7 and VM 3.0.4. Even though
    with different hardware, E4000, (2) SSA100s, and (2) A5200s.

    The solution to my problem was adding additional patches to
    the system. I had installed the June recommended patch
    cluster, but SUN recommended the following additional
    patches.

    106541-12
    107292-06
    107458-10
    107469-07
    107473-06
    107474-01
    107544-03
    107834-03
    109104-03

    These patches have no doubt been updated since my upgrade
    was done (Aug00). I also deinstalled VXVM and reinstalled it
    after applying the above patches and rebooting.

    Hope this helps

    Larry Buss
    labuss@magothy.com

    "Georgi Kostov" wrote in message

    > Ed,
    >
    > I'm having pretty much the same problem, except I was

    running VM 2.4.
    > Did you figure it out? Thanks for any advice you might

    have to offer.
    > I'm pretty desparate by now.
    >
    > Georgi
    >

    > "Ed Roberts" wrote:
    > >
    > >I'm upgrading Solaris from 2.5.1 running Volume Manager

    2.3 to Solaris 7
    > and
    > >Veritas Volume Manager 3.0.4. Ran upgrade_start, removed

    old VM packages
    > >and upgraded to Solaris 7, but when added the VXVM

    package it gave following
    > >error
    > >"Driver vxdmp successfully added to system but failed to

    attach".
    > >All Recommended patches for 2.7 have been added. Have a

    Sparc Server 1000
    > >and SSA 100

+ Reply to Thread