Removing failed disk/volumes - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Removing failed disk/volumes - Veritas Volume Manager ; Sun Solaris 2.6 SEVM 2.6 This has happened a few times before on this particular system: An FCAL drive will fail, or least "develop" bad sectors, and cannot be removed from VxVM control. I've tried moving the volumes, unmounting, and ...

  1. Removing failed disk/volumes

    Sun Solaris 2.6
    SEVM 2.6

    This has happened a few times before on this particular system: An FCAL
    drive will fail, or least "develop" bad sectors, and cannot be removed from
    VxVM control. I've tried moving the volumes, unmounting, and a few other
    commands with the GUI and vxdiskadm, without success. The only solution
    is to reboot without bringing up the fs and some other work arounds.

    Is there something I'm missing? Is there any kind of "force" for removing
    volumes and/or disks in bad shape?

    Marco

  2. Re: Removing failed disk/volumes

    What error do you get?
    Cheers
    Mafalda

    "Marco Shaw" wrote:

    >Sun Solaris 2.6
    >SEVM 2.6
    >
    >This has happened a few times before on this particular system: An FCAL
    >drive will fail, or least "develop" bad sectors, and cannot be removed from
    >VxVM control. I've tried moving the volumes, unmounting, and a few other
    >commands with the GUI and vxdiskadm, without success. The only solution
    >is to reboot without bringing up the fs and some other work arounds.
    >
    >Is there something I'm missing? Is there any kind of "force" for removing
    >volumes and/or disks in bad shape?
    >
    >Marco

  3. Re: Removing failed disk/volumes

    "Marco Shaw" wrote:

    >Sun Solaris 2.6
    >SEVM 2.6
    >
    >This has happened a few times before on this particular system: An FCAL
    >drive will fail, or least "develop" bad sectors, and cannot be removed from
    >VxVM control. I've tried moving the volumes, unmounting, and a few other
    >commands with the GUI and vxdiskadm, without success. The only solution
    >is to reboot without bringing up the fs and some other work arounds.
    >
    >Is there something I'm missing? Is there any kind of "force" for removing
    >volumes and/or disks in bad shape?
    >
    >Marco

  4. Re: Removing failed disk/volumes

    Hey gang,

    Has anyone found a resolution to this yet? I am on an HP system at present
    and have a similar problem with a disk that received an Uncorrectable write
    error on a drive. Any ideas on what to check from a Solaris or HP point
    of view?

    John

    "Jim Nason" wrote:

    >"Marco Shaw" wrote:
    >>
    >>Sun Solaris 2.6
    >>SEVM 2.6
    >>
    >>This has happened a few times before on this particular system: An FCAL
    >>drive will fail, or least "develop" bad sectors, and cannot be removed

    from
    >>VxVM control. I've tried moving the volumes, unmounting, and a few other
    >>commands with the GUI and vxdiskadm, without success. The only solution
    >>is to reboot without bringing up the fs and some other work arounds.
    >>
    >>Is there something I'm missing? Is there any kind of "force" for removing
    >>volumes and/or disks in bad shape?
    >>
    >>Marco

  5. Re: Removing failed disk/volumes

    Assuming the disks are mirrored, you should be able to break the mirror and
    than use vxdiskadm to remove and then readd the disk. Seems like I have had
    to do this a few times.

    "John Skadowski" wrote:

    >Hey gang,
    >
    >Has anyone found a resolution to this yet? I am on an HP system at present
    >and have a similar problem with a disk that received an Uncorrectable write
    >error on a drive. Any ideas on what to check from a Solaris or HP point
    >of view?
    >
    >John
    >
    >"Jim Nason" wrote:
    >>
    >>"Marco Shaw" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Sun Solaris 2.6
    >>>SEVM 2.6
    >>>
    >>>This has happened a few times before on this particular system: An FCAL
    >>>drive will fail, or least "develop" bad sectors, and cannot be removed

    >from
    >>>VxVM control. I've tried moving the volumes, unmounting, and a few other
    >>>commands with the GUI and vxdiskadm, without success. The only solution
    >>>is to reboot without bringing up the fs and some other work arounds.
    >>>
    >>>Is there something I'm missing? Is there any kind of "force" for removing
    >>>volumes and/or disks in bad shape?
    >>>
    >>>Marco

+ Reply to Thread