UFS Resize? - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on UFS Resize? - Veritas Volume Manager ; Not knowing any better I used the Volume manager to grow a "ufs" file system. Even though tech support told me this should fail I know I have done it in the past (the File system started at 4G and ...

  1. UFS Resize?

    Not knowing any better I used the Volume manager to grow a "ufs" file
    system. Even though tech support told me this should fail I know I have
    done it in the past (the File system started at 4G and it is now 20G).
    I have grown this file system a couple of times under Volume manager 2.5
    and now under 3.0. I did get an error the last time I tried to grow it
    but it still increased the size of the File system!

    Tech support states that the volume manager is incapable of growing a
    "ufs" file systems. How is it that I have done it? Has anyone else
    grown a ufs file system under Volume manager control?

    OS: Solaris 2.6
    VolMgr: 3.0.1
    Vxvm:

    --

    ***************************************
    ** FROM: Dana Frost

  2. Re: UFS Resize?

    I've succesfully resized UFS filesystems using Volume Manager (version 3.03,
    Solaris 8) - just did one a couple of days back

    As I understand, both UFS and VXFS filesystems can be resized, but only VXFS
    can be *shrunk* - UFS can only be grown...

    Cheers

  3. Re: UFS Resize?

    Dana Frost wrote:
    >Not knowing any better I used the Volume manager to grow a "ufs" file
    >system. Even though tech support told me this should fail I know I have
    >done it in the past (the File system started at 4G and it is now 20G).
    >I have grown this file system a couple of times under Volume manager 2.5
    >and now under 3.0. I did get an error the last time I tried to grow it
    >but it still increased the size of the File system!
    >
    >Tech support states that the volume manager is incapable of growing a
    >"ufs" file systems. How is it that I have done it? Has anyone else
    >grown a ufs file system under Volume manager control?
    >
    >OS: Solaris 2.6
    >VolMgr: 3.0.1
    >Vxvm:
    >
    >--
    >
    >***************************************
    >** FROM: Dana Frost
    >** EMAIL: dana.frost@westwave.com
    >** PHONE: (707) 284-7216
    >***************************************

    I used vxresize to grow a UFS file system. I am using VxVM 3.0.2. I did
    not noticed any problem. The man page on vxresize states that you can do
    this (VxFS and UFS).

    Would it be possible for you to verify with Veritas tech support? We get
    our support from Sun Microsystems.

    Edwin Dy
    847-887-7024

  4. Re: UFS Resize?

    Edwin, et al,

    Whether growing a ufs filesystem is possible depends largely on who
    you ask. ;-) According to Sun, you can't do it. The reason they
    say this is due to the fact that you must use an undocumented option
    to ufs' mkfs command to achieve the grow. VERITAS tools will usually
    be able to grow the ufs without a problem, but when you get right
    down to it, ufs is Sun's filesystem, and they claim that growing
    a ufs is an unsupported operation.

    For the curious, the command to do this is:

    /usr/lib/fs/ufs/mkfs -F ufs -M sectors)>

    caveat emptor,

    yoda
    "Edwin Dy" wrote:

    >Dana Frost wrote:
    >>Not knowing any better I used the Volume manager to grow a "ufs" file
    >>system. Even though tech support told me this should fail I know I have
    >>done it in the past (the File system started at 4G and it is now 20G).
    >>I have grown this file system a couple of times under Volume manager 2.5
    >>and now under 3.0. I did get an error the last time I tried to grow it
    >>but it still increased the size of the File system!
    >>
    >>Tech support states that the volume manager is incapable of growing a
    >>"ufs" file systems. How is it that I have done it? Has anyone else
    >>grown a ufs file system under Volume manager control?
    >>
    >>OS: Solaris 2.6
    >>VolMgr: 3.0.1
    >>Vxvm:
    >>
    >>--
    >>
    >>***************************************
    >>** FROM: Dana Frost
    >>** EMAIL: dana.frost@westwave.com
    >>** PHONE: (707) 284-7216
    >>

    >I used vxresize to grow a UFS file system. I am using VxVM 3.0.2. I did
    >not noticed any problem. The man page on vxresize states that you can do
    >this (VxFS and UFS).
    >
    >Would it be possible for you to verify with Veritas tech support? We get
    >our support from Sun Microsystems.
    >
    >Edwin Dy
    >847-887-7024

+ Reply to Thread