VM and multiple boot environments - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on VM and multiple boot environments - Veritas Volume Manager ; We have several small systems that need to support different field environments. One thing we commonly do is have mutiple boot drives, with a different OS configuration on each boot drive. hence if we boot from say disk0 we'll have ...

  1. VM and multiple boot environments

    We have several small systems that need to support different field
    environments. One thing we commonly do is have mutiple boot drives,
    with a different OS configuration on each boot drive. hence if we boot
    from say disk0 we'll have one configuration and if we boot from disk1 we
    can run an entirely separate environment. We even isolate the
    filesystems to one environment or the other and, when possible locate
    one environment's filesystems on one set of disks and the other
    envornment's filesystems on a separate set of disks. To date we've
    never had VM running on any of the systems we're set up in this manner.
    I'm now considering whether it's possible to do a similar thing with a
    system running VM.

    I have an existing system running Solaris 2.6 and SEVM 2.6. I'd like to
    leave the existing environment alone and on a sepate boot disk install
    Solaris 7 and VM 3.02.
    Given this;
    - is this setup even possible seeing how the physical disks are already
    defined to SEVM 2.6 on the Solaris 2.6 side of the machine

    - to make this work would I need to undefine some disks from the SEVM
    2.6 configuration and redefine them to the 3.02 configuration. In this
    way there is no attempt to have the SEVM 2.6 and 3.02 configuration
    'see' the same physical disk

    - if I'm able to isolate the physical disks to one environment or the
    other, any concerns about booting into either environment. Again, I do
    this all the time without VM on a machine, I'm trying to figure out what
    I need to consider if I'm using VM, paticularly different versions.

    Has anyone successfully tried something like this? What other issues
    need I consider?

    Thanks.

    Spencer Kantor
    skantor@telcordia.com

  2. Re: VM and multiple boot environments

    I had a similar problem last week

    It appears not to be a problem with all disk groups other than rootdg.
    The various other dg's import as expected. However, with rootdg, I had
    to isolate the root disk volumes, either by phyically removing them
    or by removing them from VM control. Other ways around this, appear to
    be;-
    1) Change the nodename of each system, so taht on startup, when VM looks
    at volboot, it will then look for private regeons containing that nodename/hostid

    2) Use vxprivutil (/usr/lib/vxvm/diag.d) to change the hostid on one
    particular private regeon. This , however has to be done each time the
    bootdisk is changed from one OS to the other. I can't remember the exact
    command structure, but it goes something like;
    vxprivutil -g rootdg set hostid=newhost /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s4

    pencer kantor wrote:
    >We have several small systems that need to support different field
    >environments. One thing we commonly do is have mutiple boot drives,
    >with a different OS configuration on each boot drive. hence if we boot
    >from say disk0 we'll have one configuration and if we boot from disk1 we
    >can run an entirely separate environment. We even isolate the
    >filesystems to one environment or the other and, when possible locate
    >one environment's filesystems on one set of disks and the other
    >envornment's filesystems on a separate set of disks. To date we've
    >never had VM running on any of the systems we're set up in this manner.
    >I'm now considering whether it's possible to do a similar thing with a
    >system running VM.
    >
    >I have an existing system running Solaris 2.6 and SEVM 2.6. I'd like to
    >leave the existing environment alone and on a sepate boot disk install
    >Solaris 7 and VM 3.02.
    >Given this;
    >- is this setup even possible seeing how the physical disks are already
    >defined to SEVM 2.6 on the Solaris 2.6 side of the machine
    >
    >- to make this work would I need to undefine some disks from the SEVM
    >2.6 configuration and redefine them to the 3.02 configuration. In this
    >way there is no attempt to have the SEVM 2.6 and 3.02 configuration
    >'see' the same physical disk
    >
    >- if I'm able to isolate the physical disks to one environment or the
    >other, any concerns about booting into either environment. Again, I do
    >this all the time without VM on a machine, I'm trying to figure out what
    >I need to consider if I'm using VM, paticularly different versions.
    >
    >Has anyone successfully tried something like this? What other issues
    >need I consider?
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >Spencer Kantor
    >skantor@telcordia.com