VM 2.6 -> 3.02 Upgrade when root NOT encapsulated - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on VM 2.6 -> 3.02 Upgrade when root NOT encapsulated - Veritas Volume Manager ; Currently have a Sun E5500 running Solaris 2.6 and VM 2.6 that we need to upgrade to Solaris 7/VM 3.02. Our boot drive (and spare root drive) is not encapsulated and not under VM control but all other disks are ...

  1. VM 2.6 -> 3.02 Upgrade when root NOT encapsulated

    Currently have a Sun E5500 running Solaris 2.6 and VM 2.6 that we need
    to upgrade to Solaris 7/VM 3.02. Our boot drive (and spare root drive)
    is not encapsulated and not under VM control but all other disks are
    defined as part of the rootdg.

    What tips/pointers/considerations should we be aware of to do this
    upgrade?

    The docs suggest running the VM upgrade_start script, removing the
    existing VM packages, upgrade to Solaris 7, install the 3.02 VM packages
    and then run the upgrade_finish script. Is this all that's really
    necessary to upgrade the OS and the VM version at the same time.

    Thanks fir any assistance/advice provided.

    Spencer Kantor
    skantor@telcordia.com

  2. Re: VM 2.6 -> 3.02 Upgrade when root NOT encapsulated

    Don't know if you have gotten a response on this question yet, but I have
    a similar situation. I won't be upgrading the OS, just the version of Veritas
    Volume Manager.
    I also have a rootdg with disks on a Sun Storage Array, and a single internal
    boot disk that is NOT part of the rootdg. My goal is to upgrade veritas,
    encapsulate the boot disk into rootdg with the existing disks, then migrate
    the data from the other disks to a new disk group. I guess my question is:
    can I safely add the boot disk into the rootdg?

    Kevin Lane
    EDS/CRM
    klane@eds.com

    spencer kantor wrote:
    >Currently have a Sun E5500 running Solaris 2.6 and VM 2.6 that we need
    >to upgrade to Solaris 7/VM 3.02. Our boot drive (and spare root drive)
    >is not encapsulated and not under VM control but all other disks are
    >defined as part of the rootdg.
    >
    >What tips/pointers/considerations should we be aware of to do this
    >upgrade?
    >
    >The docs suggest running the VM upgrade_start script, removing the
    >existing VM packages, upgrade to Solaris 7, install the 3.02 VM packages
    >and then run the upgrade_finish script. Is this all that's really
    >necessary to upgrade the OS and the VM version at the same time.
    >
    >Thanks fir any assistance/advice provided.
    >
    >Spencer Kantor
    >skantor@telcordia.com

+ Reply to Thread