swapvol: decreasing, splitting & logging - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on swapvol: decreasing, splitting & logging - Veritas Volume Manager ; Hello, we currently have a Solaris 2.6 system with Veritas VM 2.6 (boot disk encapsulated). Our swapvol is 6GB. We have been told by Sun support that Solaris 2.6 doesn't handle swap partitions greater than 2 GB. So, we want ...

  1. swapvol: decreasing, splitting & logging

    Hello,
    we currently have a Solaris 2.6 system with Veritas VM 2.6 (boot disk
    encapsulated). Our swapvol is 6GB. We have been told by Sun support that
    Solaris 2.6 doesn't handle swap partitions greater than 2 GB. So, we want
    to change the current layout. Three questions come to mind:

    1) how can we safely decrease the 6 GB swapvol to 2GB (I think the swapvol
    must be physically mapped to disk partition #1) ?

    2) we want to add more swap space to the system (perhaps another 2 GB); I
    have seen in the Veritas Knowledge Base a method based on creating a file
    with "mkfile" on an existing volume. But, can't we create a new volume for
    swap ? (and if so, does it need special options ?)

    3) about DRL logging for swap volumes, I have read in some places that
    "usr, swap and root volumes can not have DRL logging" while in others only
    that "usr and root volumes can not have DRL logging"; really, if you put a
    DRL subdisk for swapvol, VM doesn't complain, so, should we do it ?

    Thanks in advance,

    Francisco Gaztelua
    System Administrator
    University of the Basque Country

  2. Re: swapvol: decreasing, splitting & logging

    On Tue, 13 Jun 2000 13:57:13 +0200, Fco. J. Gaztelua
    wrote:

    >Hello,
    >we currently have a Solaris 2.6 system with Veritas VM 2.6 (boot disk
    >encapsulated). Our swapvol is 6GB. We have been told by Sun support that
    >Solaris 2.6 doesn't handle swap partitions greater than 2 GB. So, we want
    >to change the current layout. Three questions come to mind:
    >
    >1) how can we safely decrease the 6 GB swapvol to 2GB (I think the swapvol
    >must be physically mapped to disk partition #1) ?
    >
    >2) we want to add more swap space to the system (perhaps another 2 GB); I
    >have seen in the Veritas Knowledge Base a method based on creating a file
    >with "mkfile" on an existing volume. But, can't we create a new volume for
    >swap ? (and if so, does it need special options ?)
    >
    >3) about DRL logging for swap volumes, I have read in some places that
    >"usr, swap and root volumes can not have DRL logging" while in others only
    >that "usr and root volumes can not have DRL logging"; really, if you put a
    >DRL subdisk for swapvol, VM doesn't complain, so, should we do it ?
    >
    >Thanks in advance,

    I forgot to say that the boot disk is mirrored. Thanks.
    Francisco Gaztelua
    System Administrator
    University of the Basque Country

+ Reply to Thread