Specifying raw partition for backups!! - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Specifying raw partition for backups!! - Veritas Volume Manager ; Hi all, We use VxVM raw partition for Oracle database on Solaris 2.6. I am trying to backup these files from raw partition to a tape using Veritas Netbackup. If I specify the path for the file using the form ...

  1. Specifying raw partition for backups!!

    Hi all,

    We use VxVM raw partition for Oracle database on Solaris 2.6. I am trying to
    backup these files from raw partition to a tape using Veritas Netbackup. If
    I specify the path for the file using the form format
    /dev/vx/rdsk/dg/xxx.dbf; it fails with an error "no such device or address".

    I was told that to specify Unix raw partition format, such as:
    /devices/sbus@1,f90000/esp@0...../sd@2
    But since the disks are under VM control, do I need to specify logical
    partition instead? Can some one give me an example for a logical partition
    please?

    many many thanks in advance.

    Kishore

  2. Re: Specifying raw partition for backups!!

    You've missed the volume name;

    /dev/vx/rdsk/{diskgroup}/{volume}

    Martin.

    "Kishore Gowda" wrote:
    >Hi all,
    >
    >We use VxVM raw partition for Oracle database on Solaris 2.6. I am trying

    >backup these files from raw partition to a tape using Veritas Netbackup.

    If
    >I specify the path for the file using the form format
    >/dev/vx/rdsk/dg/xxx.dbf; it fails with an error "no such device or address".
    >
    >I was told that to specify Unix raw partition format, such as:
    >/devices/sbus@1,f90000/esp@0...../sd@2
    >But since the disks are under VM control, do I need to specify logical
    >partition instead? Can some one give me an example for a logical partition
    >please?
    >
    >many many thanks in advance.
    >
    >Kishore

  3. Re: Specifying raw partition for backups!!

    Aye-n-aye.
    "Martin" wrote:

    >You've missed the volume name;
    >
    >/dev/vx/rdsk/{diskgroup}/{volume}
    >
    >Martin.
    >

    >"Kishore Gowda" wrote:
    >>Hi all,
    >>
    >>We use VxVM raw partition for Oracle database on Solaris 2.6. I am trying

    >>backup these files from raw partition to a tape using Veritas Netbackup.

    >If
    >>I specify the path for the file using the form format
    >>/dev/vx/rdsk/dg/xxx.dbf; it fails with an error "no such device or address".
    >>
    >>I was told that to specify Unix raw partition format, such as:
    >>/devices/sbus@1,f90000/esp@0...../sd@2
    >>But since the disks are under VM control, do I need to specify logical
    >>partition instead? Can some one give me an example for a logical partition
    >>please?
    >>
    >>many many thanks in advance.
    >>
    >>Kishore

+ Reply to Thread