Upgrade from Sol2.6/Sun VM 2.6 to Sol 7/VM 3.0.4e - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Upgrade from Sol2.6/Sun VM 2.6 to Sol 7/VM 3.0.4e - Veritas Volume Manager ; Hi all! We want to do a upgrade of the OS and Volume Manager on a E450 with several D1000 attached. Are there any Tips/Tricks? We assume the following steps: 1. Upgrade Volume Manager under Solaris 2.6 by running the ...

  1. Upgrade from Sol2.6/Sun VM 2.6 to Sol 7/VM 3.0.4e

    Hi all!

    We want to do a upgrade of the OS and Volume Manager on a E450
    with several D1000 attached. Are there any Tips/Tricks?
    We assume the following steps:

    1. Upgrade Volume Manager under Solaris 2.6 by running the upgrade
    scripts as documented in Veritas Knowledge Base.
    2. Installation of Solaris 7 by doing a complete new Install.
    By doing this we will lose all data on the root disk!
    3. Installation of Volume Manager under Solaris 7.

    Is this correct? Is VM able to detect the old configuration?

    Thanks
    Michael

  2. Re: Upgrade from Sol2.6/Sun VM 2.6 to Sol 7/VM 3.0.4e

    If you're going to wipe your root disk anyway; why bother
    upgrading VM?
    Just deport all your disk groups; install solaris7; install
    VM3.0.4e and re-import......simple
    Unless of course you have volumes other than
    rootvol
    swapol
    var
    home

    in your rootdg. Though there is a procedure to move these
    extra data volumes to another disk group.

    John
    "Michael Trittler" wrote:

    >Hi all!
    >
    >We want to do a upgrade of the OS and Volume Manager on a E450
    >with several D1000 attached. Are there any Tips/Tricks?
    >We assume the following steps:
    >
    >1. Upgrade Volume Manager under Solaris 2.6 by running the upgrade
    > scripts as documented in Veritas Knowledge Base.
    >2. Installation of Solaris 7 by doing a complete new Install.
    > By doing this we will lose all data on the root disk!
    >3. Installation of Volume Manager under Solaris 7.
    >
    >Is this correct? Is VM able to detect the old configuration?
    >
    >Thanks
    >Michael

+ Reply to Thread