Re: Volume manager RAID 0+1 configuration. - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Re: Volume manager RAID 0+1 configuration. - Veritas Volume Manager ; [[ This message was both posted and mailed: see the "To," "Cc," and "Newsgroups" headers for details. ]] As I understand it, Striping plus Mirroring (RAID 0+1) requires 4 (or more) disks: You build a striped volume out of 2 ...

  1. Re: Volume manager RAID 0+1 configuration.

    As I understand it, Striping plus Mirroring (RAID 0+1) requires 4 (or
    more) disks: You build a striped volume out of 2 (or more) subvolumes,
    each of which contains 2 (or more) mirrors. You can't do that with
    just 2 disks, though "not enough space" isn't a very helpful error
    message.

    With 2 18GB disks, you can build a 36GB concatenated volume, a 36GB
    striped volume (RAID 0), or an 18GB mirrored volume (RAID 1). You
    could, of course, also build several smaller concatenated, striped, or
    mirrored volumes.

    Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your question?

    Michael

    In article <3919f522@hronntp01.>, Damien Philip
    wrote:

    > When I make a volume using 1 18GB disk and then
    > use another 18GB disk to make a RAID 0+1 configuration with that volume
    > it says I cannot do it because there is not enough space,
    > but, I am able to do mirroring, could someone clarify,does the
    > RAID 0+1 configuration require some diskspace to write
    > RAID 0+1 information..how do we calculate how much diskspace is
    > required.
    >
    > thanks

  2. Re: Volume manager RAID 0+1 configuration.

    Michael Stassen wrote:

    > [[ This message was both posted and mailed: see
    > the "To," "Cc," and "Newsgroups" headers for details. ]]
    >
    > As I understand it, Striping plus Mirroring (RAID 0+1) requires 4 (or
    > more) disks: You build a striped volume out of 2 (or more) subvolumes,
    > each of which contains 2 (or more) mirrors. You can't do that with
    > just 2 disks, though "not enough space" isn't a very helpful error
    > message.
    >
    > With 2 18GB disks, you can build a 36GB concatenated volume, a 36GB
    > striped volume (RAID 0), or an 18GB mirrored volume (RAID 1). You
    > could, of course, also build several smaller concatenated, striped, or
    > mirrored volumes.

    It is true in GUI. From CLI you may create RAID 0+1 on 2 disks

  3. Re: Volume manager RAID 0+1 configuration.

    Hi ,
    i think the way u have done the mirroring is good but DO TRY OUT WITH HOTSPARE
    ATTACHED TO THAT VOLUME.
    Your doubt that do we require addition disk is required for writitng log
    information about volumes and mirrioring ????
    the answer :
    in the vxassisit command we have to mention "log" then a default plex is
    created by VxVM for the log information

    Michael Stassen wrote:
    >[[ This message was both posted and mailed: see
    > the "To," "Cc," and "Newsgroups" headers for details. ]]
    >

    >As I understand it, Striping plus Mirroring (RAID 0+1) requires 4 (or
    >more) disks: You build a striped volume out of 2 (or more) subvolumes,
    >each of which contains 2 (or more) mirrors. You can't do that with
    >just 2 disks, though "not enough space" isn't a very helpful error
    >message.
    >
    >With 2 18GB disks, you can build a 36GB concatenated volume, a 36GB
    >striped volume (RAID 0), or an 18GB mirrored volume (RAID 1). You
    >could, of course, also build several smaller concatenated, striped, or
    >mirrored volumes.
    >
    >Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your question?
    >
    >Michael
    >
    >In article <3919f522@hronntp01.>, Damien Philip
    > wrote:
    >
    >> When I make a volume using 1 18GB disk and then
    >> use another 18GB disk to make a RAID 0+1 configuration with that volume
    >> it says I cannot do it because there is not enough space,
    >> but, I am able to do mirroring, could someone clarify,does the
    >> RAID 0+1 configuration require some diskspace to write
    >> RAID 0+1 information..how do we calculate how much diskspace is
    >> required.
    >>
    >> thanks

+ Reply to Thread