Veritas Volume Mgr and Multipathing. - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Veritas Volume Mgr and Multipathing. - Veritas Volume Manager ; Hi folks: When Veritas senses that there's two paths to the same drive (I have two FibreChannel Adapters connected to the same array) does it take advantage of both controllers for I/O or is the second merely a backup path ...

  1. Veritas Volume Mgr and Multipathing.

    Hi folks:

    When Veritas senses that there's two paths to the same drive
    (I have two FibreChannel Adapters connected to the same array)
    does it take advantage of both controllers for I/O or is the
    second merely a backup path in case of failure?

    Trying to find out if it's better to split them up and manually
    assign alternating drives from both controllers as part of the volume.

    Thanks!

    Eric

  2. Re: Veritas Volume Mgr and Multipathing.

    "Eric McDonald" wrote:

    >Hi folks:
    >
    >When Veritas senses that there's two paths to the same drive
    >(I have two FibreChannel Adapters connected to the same array)
    >does it take advantage of both controllers for I/O or is the
    >second merely a backup path in case of failure?
    >
    >Trying to find out if it's better to split them up and manually
    >assign alternating drives from both controllers as part of the volume.
    >

    >Thanks!

    It is my understanding that Veritas DMP (Dynamic Multi-Pathing)
    uses a round-robin technique to spread the IO across multiple
    HBA's.
    >Eric

+ Reply to Thread