Multiple pathing - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Multiple pathing - Veritas Volume Manager ; I have a Sun UE6500 with 6 A5200 disk arrays on four FC-AL hubs, and four controllers. Veritas recognizes that c0 and c4 are dual paths to the same disks, but does not see that c5 and c6 are dual ...

  1. Multiple pathing

    I have a Sun UE6500 with 6 A5200 disk arrays on four FC-AL hubs, and
    four controllers. Veritas recognizes that c0 and c4 are dual paths to
    the same disks, but does not see that c5 and c6 are dual paths to the
    same disks. I should be seeing 132 disks, and instead I am seeing 196.
    (Some with dual paths, some without.) I have tried running enable> to rediscover the pathing, but this does not work. Also I have
    run and it correctly shows the controllers. But
    vxdisk list shows disks on three controllers instead of two. Is there a
    way to force the machine to recognize that the disks on c5 and c6 are
    the same disks with dual access paths?

  2. Re: Multiple pathing

    Yes, I see the same problem using VM 302 with HDS 7700 Disk array on
    E6500s.
    Will really appreciate if someone can suggest something.

    Masroor

    jreprog wrote:

    > I have a Sun UE6500 with 6 A5200 disk arrays on four FC-AL hubs, and
    > four controllers. Veritas recognizes that c0 and c4 are dual paths to
    > the same disks, but does not see that c5 and c6 are dual paths to the
    > same disks. I should be seeing 132 disks, and instead I am seeing 196.
    > (Some with dual paths, some without.) I have tried running > enable> to rediscover the pathing, but this does not work. Also I have
    > run and it correctly shows the controllers. But
    > vxdisk list shows disks on three controllers instead of two. Is there a
    > way to force the machine to recognize that the disks on c5 and c6 are
    > the same disks with dual access paths?

  3. Re: Multiple pathing

    jreprog wrote:
    >I have a Sun UE6500 with 6 A5200 disk arrays on four FC-AL hubs, and
    >four controllers. Veritas recognizes that c0 and c4 are dual paths to
    >the same disks, but does not see that c5 and c6 are dual paths to the
    >same disks. I should be seeing 132 disks, and instead I am seeing 196.
    >(Some with dual paths, some without.) I have tried running >enable> to rediscover the pathing, but this does not work. Also I have
    >run and it correctly shows the controllers. But
    >vxdisk list shows disks on three controllers instead of two. Is there a
    >way to force the machine to recognize that the disks on c5 and c6 are
    >the same disks with dual access paths?

    I'm no expert on this subject, but I'll give what advice I can.
    I've had similar problems with an E3500 that has one A5000 disk
    array on it. I tried dual-pathing it and only one path showed
    up. There were some other weird things, too. Like, running
    an "iostat -xPn" in Solaris 2.6 dumped core. The -xPn tries
    to translate disk names to their paths (/dev/dsk/cX...). In
    any case, I suspected two problems. One, that my /dev and
    /devices directories were out of sync. Sun has a document about
    how to fix that, I can send it to you if you need it. Two, that
    some of my GBICs were bad, meaning the second path didn't
    really exist. We are under a Sun contract so replacing them
    was no problem. In any case, those are the two things that I
    would check...

    Good luck,
    Dan

  4. Re: Multiple pathing

    What is the name of that document. If I could get that, it might be of some
    help.
    As far as gbics being possibly broken, I have had Sun here to run diags on
    all the hardware, previously, some paths did not work, and we had
    those problems fixed. (To no avail). Any help is appreciated.

    "Dan Perez" wrote:

    >jreprog wrote:
    >>I have a Sun UE6500 with 6 A5200 disk arrays on four FC-AL hubs, and
    >>four controllers. Veritas recognizes that c0 and c4 are dual paths to
    >>the same disks, but does not see that c5 and c6 are dual paths to the
    >>same disks. I should be seeing 132 disks, and instead I am seeing 196.
    >>(Some with dual paths, some without.) I have tried running >>enable> to rediscover the pathing, but this does not work. Also I have
    >>run and it correctly shows the controllers. But
    >>vxdisk list shows disks on three controllers instead of two. Is there a
    >>way to force the machine to recognize that the disks on c5 and c6 are
    >>the same disks with dual access paths?

    >I'm no expert on this subject, but I'll give what advice I can.
    >I've had similar problems with an E3500 that has one A5000 disk
    >array on it. I tried dual-pathing it and only one path showed
    >up. There were some other weird things, too. Like, running
    >an "iostat -xPn" in Solaris 2.6 dumped core. The -xPn tries
    >to translate disk names to their paths (/dev/dsk/cX...). In
    >any case, I suspected two problems. One, that my /dev and
    >/devices directories were out of sync. Sun has a document about
    >how to fix that, I can send it to you if you need it. Two, that
    >some of my GBICs were bad, meaning the second path didn't
    >really exist. We are under a Sun contract so replacing them
    >was no problem. In any case, those are the two things that I
    >would check...
    >
    >Good luck,
    >Dan

  5. Re: Multiple pathing

    This might be a stupid question but have you tried to do
    a reconfiguration reboot to see if that will find the new
    paths for your server?

    In any case, here is the document:

    Before making these changes, be sure that the system has been backed-up,
    so that the files can be restored in the event of problems...

    NOTE: /dev, /devices and /etc/path_to_inst on destination system will be

    overwritten

    ok> boot cdrom -sw
    # mount /dev/dsk/c0t3d0s0 /a
    # mv /a/dev /a/dev.old
    # mv /a/devices /a/devices.old
    # mv /a/etc/path_to_inst /a/etc/path_to_inst.old
    # cd /tmp
    # tar cvfp - ./dev | ( cd /a; tar xvfp - )
    # tar cvfp - ./devices | ( cd /a; tar xvfp - )
    # cd /tmp/root/etc
    # cp path_to_inst /a/etc/path_to_inst
    # halt

    ok boot -rv

    HTH,
    Dan

    "Jim Reprogle" wrote:
    >What is the name of that document. If I could get that, it might be of some
    >help.

+ Reply to Thread