Disk recognition - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Disk recognition - Veritas Volume Manager ; Hi, I am using VM on a Hitachi HDS7700. After allocating some disks to a E6500 i run 'format ' and see that the disks are recognised. However VM does not see the disks - i need to kill and ...

  1. Disk recognition

    Hi,

    I am using VM on a Hitachi HDS7700. After allocating some disks to a
    E6500
    i run 'format ' and see that the disks are recognised. However VM does
    not
    see the disks - i need to kill and restart 'vxconfigd' and VM will see
    the disks and
    i can encapsulate them. ANyone seen this problem before?

    Thanks in advance
    MAsroor

  2. Re: Disk recognition

    I have seen this ... I moved a D1000 storage array to another box (ultra 2)
    and I had to use 'vxdctl enable' to have VxVM re-scan the controllers ...

    Syed Masroor wrote:
    >--------------0637B379CE76266106036C13
    >
    >Hi,
    >
    >I am using VM on a Hitachi HDS7700. After allocating some disks to a
    >E6500
    >i run 'format ' and see that the disks are recognised. However VM does
    >not
    >see the disks - i need to kill and restart 'vxconfigd' and VM will see
    >the disks and
    >i can encapsulate them. ANyone seen this problem before?
    >
    >Thanks in advance
    >MAsroor
    >
    >--------------0637B379CE76266106036C13
    >
    >begin:vcard
    >n:Masroor;Syed
    >tel;cell:91-98450-22670
    >tel;fax:91-80-556 6869
    >tel;work:91-80-663 4607 / 91-80-654 8975
    >x-mozilla-html:TRUE
    >url:www.apara.com
    >org:Apara Design Automation (P) Ltd.,
    >version:2.1
    >email;internet:masroor@apara.com
    >title:Product Manager - VERITAS
    >adr;quoted-printable:;;104, Srilakshmi Nivas, #17=0D=0A36 Cross, 15 Main,

    4T Block,=0D=0AJayanagar;Bangalore;Karnataka;560
    >041;India
    >note;quoted-printable:Get in Touch for the Best Storage Mangement Solutions

    in the World.=0D=0A
    >fn:Syed Masroor
    >end:vcard
    >
    >--------------0637B379CE76266106036C13--

  3. Re: Disk recognition

    According to Veritas, it is working as designed. You will run into the same
    issue even if you physically swap out a "bad" disk for a "new" disk.
    regards
    Andrew

    Iftikhar wrote:

    > I have seen this ... I moved a D1000 storage array to another box (ultra 2)
    > and I had to use 'vxdctl enable' to have VxVM re-scan the controllers ...
    >
    > Syed Masroor wrote:
    > >This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
    > >--------------0637B379CE76266106036C13
    > >
    > >Hi,
    > >
    > >I am using VM on a Hitachi HDS7700. After allocating some disks to a
    > >E6500
    > >i run 'format ' and see that the disks are recognised. However VM does
    > >not
    > >see the disks - i need to kill and restart 'vxconfigd' and VM will see
    > >the disks and
    > >i can encapsulate them. ANyone seen this problem before?
    > >
    > >Thanks in advance
    > >MAsroor
    > >
    > >--------------0637B379CE76266106036C13
    > >
    > >begin:vcard
    > >n:Masroor;Syed
    > >tel;cell:91-98450-22670
    > >tel;fax:91-80-556 6869
    > >tel;work:91-80-663 4607 / 91-80-654 8975
    > >x-mozilla-html:TRUE
    > >url:www.apara.com
    > >org:Apara Design Automation (P) Ltd.,
    > >version:2.1
    > >email;internet:masroor@apara.com
    > >title:Product Manager - VERITAS
    > >adr;quoted-printable:;;104, Srilakshmi Nivas, #17=0D=0A36 Cross, 15 Main,

    > 4T Block,=0D=0AJayanagar;Bangalore;Karnataka;560
    > >041;India
    > >note;quoted-printable:Get in Touch for the Best Storage Mangement Solutions

    > in the World.=0D=0A
    > >fn:Syed Masroor
    > >end:vcard
    > >
    > >--------------0637B379CE76266106036C13--

  4. Re: Disk recognition

    Andrew Stafford wrote:
    >According to Veritas, it is working as designed. You will run into the same
    >issue even if you physically swap out a "bad" disk for a "new" disk.
    >regards
    >Andrew
    >
    >Iftikhar wrote:
    >
    >> I have seen this ... I moved a D1000 storage array to another box (ultra

    2)
    >> and I had to use 'vxdctl enable' to have VxVM re-scan the controllers

    >> Syed Masroor wrote:
    >> >This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
    >> >--------------0637B379CE76266106036C13
    >> >
    >> >Hi,
    >> >
    >> >I am using VM on a Hitachi HDS7700. After allocating some disks to a
    >> >E6500
    >> >i run 'format ' and see that the disks are recognised. However VM does
    >> >not
    >> >see the disks - i need to kill and restart 'vxconfigd' and VM will see
    >> >the disks and
    >> >i can encapsulate them. ANyone seen this problem before?
    >> >
    >> >Thanks in advance
    >> >MAsroor
    >> >
    >> >--------------0637B379CE76266106036C13
    >> >
    >> >begin:vcard
    >> >n:Masroor;Syed
    >> >tel;cell:91-98450-22670
    >> >tel;fax:91-80-556 6869
    >> >tel;work:91-80-663 4607 / 91-80-654 8975
    >> >x-mozilla-html:TRUE
    >> >url:www.apara.com
    >> >org:Apara Design Automation (P) Ltd.,
    >> >version:2.1
    >> >email;internet:masroor@apara.com
    >> >title:Product Manager - VERITAS
    >> >adr;quoted-printable:;;104, Srilakshmi Nivas, #17=0D=0A36 Cross, 15 Main,

    >> 4T Block,=0D=0AJayanagar;Bangalore;Karnataka;560
    >> >041;India
    >> >note;quoted-printable:Get in Touch for the Best Storage Mangement Solutions

    >> in the World.=0D=0A
    >> >fn:Syed Masroor
    >> >end:vcard
    >> >
    >> >--------------0637B379CE76266106036C13--

    I have the same problem with my HDS7700E on the E10K, vcdctl enable or restart
    vxconfigd does not help. I called support and waiting.

+ Reply to Thread