Warehousing and Quick Cached IO - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Warehousing and Quick Cached IO - Veritas Volume Manager ; Please excuse my ignorance but I have a question. We are currently looking at using Veritas for our volume management and our file systems and are thinking about using the Oracle Edition. We are in a warehousing enviroment. Unless we ...

  1. Warehousing and Quick Cached IO

    Please excuse my ignorance but I have a question. We are currently looking
    at using Veritas for our volume management and our file systems and are thinking
    about using the Oracle Edition. We are in a warehousing enviroment. Unless
    we have memory up the wazoo, I really don't think we will benefit in performance
    in regards to Quick Cache I/O because potentially we could have literally
    hundreds of datafiles. The only benefit I see would be the ability to have
    the datafiles in a file system for management with an equivalent speed as
    raw. Has anyone done any benchmarks in a DSS type environment. I have seen
    them for OLTP but that does not do me any good.

    Any thoughts would be appreciated,
    Keith Janke

  2. Re: Warehousing and Quick Cached IO

    You can set RAM cache between the storage and SGA as big as your
    RAM will allow you to ...

    "Keith Janke" wrote:

    >Please excuse my ignorance but I have a question. We are currently looking
    >at using Veritas for our volume management and our file systems and are

    thinking
    >about using the Oracle Edition. We are in a warehousing enviroment. Unless
    >we have memory up the wazoo, I really don't think we will benefit in performance
    >in regards to Quick Cache I/O because potentially we could have literally
    >hundreds of datafiles. The only benefit I see would be the ability to have
    >the datafiles in a file system for management with an equivalent speed as
    >raw. Has anyone done any benchmarks in a DSS type environment. I have

    seen
    >them for OLTP but that does not do me any good.
    >
    >Any thoughts would be appreciated,
    >Keith Janke

+ Reply to Thread