resize system disk using mirror - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on resize system disk using mirror - Veritas Volume Manager ; hello, I have a question relating to Volume Manager & O/S upgrade. To perform the O/S upgrade I need to unencapsulate the system disk. the problem I face is that over time the /var and /opt partitions have been extended ...

  1. resize system disk using mirror

    hello,

    I have a question relating to Volume Manager & O/S upgrade.

    To perform the O/S upgrade I need to unencapsulate the system disk. the problem
    I face is that over time the /var and /opt partitions have been extended
    and now span two physical volumes so I cannot unencapsulate the disk.

    Is it possible to create a mirror disk with predefined sub-disks
    of sufficient size to hold my /var & /opt filesystems and then create the
    mirror. This "resized" disk now becomes my boot disk.

    I can then unencapsulate this disk and perform the upgrade.

    Any other thoughts on how to upgrade in this situation would be most welcome.

    Regards

    Tony Sunman

    tony.sunman@entrust.com

  2. ditto

    Tony, et. al.
    If you ever get anywhere with this, let me know too. We are also trying to
    get a plan together for our Veritas 2.5.x to 3.x upgrade, and this is one
    area where we have a hole. I've got to believe that lots of others have already
    invented this wheel. That, or this is one of the big "taboo" sublects that
    nobody talks about.

    Regards,
    Philip Anderson
    phil.anderson@midata.com

  3. Re: resize system disk using mirror

    Myself Vijay Gurav, a new member of this group.I love to work on VXVM.

    I will post some of my findings and would be happy to learn some new
    tricks from community member.

    Good Luck

    Vijay

    --