We are running Solaris 7 on a Sun Ultra Enterprise 3000, with Veritas Volume
Manager,
and have recently started encapsulating disks mounted directly in the server
into the
system.

We recently encapsulated the root disk with name (sun)disk15-data, and
didn't seem to
have any problems with it at the time it was done. However, a few weeks
later, we
encapsulated a second disk, and suddenly started having problems getting to
applications and starting our database server. We get some error messages
during
system boot which indicate a problem with the root disk (not the last one we
added).

While researching the problem, we attempted to rename the root disk from
(sun)disk15-data, and could not rename it.

How can we safely remove the root disk from Volume Manager control, without
loosing
data or the ability to boot the system?

Is there a problem with using (sun)disk15-data as the name?

Why would we start experiencing problems with the root disk only after
adding the
next disk to Volume Manager?

Thanks!
Jim Giles