removing last disk in rootdg - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on removing last disk in rootdg - Veritas Volume Manager ; Does anyone know how to remove the last disk in the rootdg if it was initialized into the group by mistake--without doing anything catastrophic, such as removing the pkg? Thanks in advance, Nick Cayou McData Corp. 303 460 3432...

  1. removing last disk in rootdg

    Does anyone know how to remove the last disk in the rootdg if it was initialized
    into the group by mistake--without doing anything catastrophic, such as removing
    the pkg?

    Thanks in advance,
    Nick Cayou
    McData Corp.
    303 460 3432

  2. Re: removing last disk in rootdg

    "Nick Cayou" wrote:

    >Does anyone know how to remove the last disk in the rootdg if it was initialized
    >into the group by mistake--without doing anything catastrophic, such as

    removing
    >the pkg?
    >
    >Thanks in advance,
    >Nick Cayou
    >McData Corp.
    >303 460 3432

    if the root disk is encapsulated, then de-encapsulate the disk
    logically if the DG is rootdg it should have 1 disk atleast.

  3. Re: removing last disk in rootdg

    "kalyan" wrote:

    >"Nick Cayou" wrote:
    >>
    >>Does anyone know how to remove the last disk in the rootdg if it was initialized
    >>into the group by mistake--without doing anything catastrophic, such as

    >removing
    >>the pkg?
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance,
    >>Nick Cayou
    >>McData Corp.
    >>303 460 3432

    >if the root disk is encapsulated, then de-encapsulate the disk
    >logically if the DG is rootdg it should have 1 disk atleast.

    Thanks for the response, kaylan. My root disk is not encapsulated, but the
    disk I added (non root volume) cannot be removed once added to the rootdg.
    For non-encapsulated disks, do you know how to remove the disk?

    Thanks again,
    Nick

  4. Re: removing last disk in rootdg

    "Nick Cayou" wrote:

    >Does anyone know how to remove the last disk in the rootdg if it was initialized
    >into the group by mistake--without doing anything catastrophic, such as

    removing
    >the pkg?

    VxVM _requires_ you to have a disk group named rootdg, right? And you must
    have at least one disk in each disk group for it to be valid. Thus you cannot
    remove the 'last disk' from rootdg.

  5. Re: removing last disk in rootdg

    The issue is you are required to have a rootdg, and in that rootdg you must
    have at least one disk. Solution is to add another disk into rootdg before
    trying to remove the one you don't want.

    James

    "Jeffrey M. Lewis" wrote in message

    > "Nick Cayou" wrote:
    > >
    > >Does anyone know how to remove the last disk in the rootdg if it was

    initialized
    > >into the group by mistake--without doing anything catastrophic, such as

    > removing
    > >the pkg?

    > VxVM _requires_ you to have a disk group named rootdg, right? And you

    must
    > have at least one disk in each disk group for it to be valid. Thus you

    cannot
    > remove the 'last disk' from rootdg.

  6. Re: removing last disk in rootdg

    dire wrote:

    > The issue is you are required to have a rootdg, and in that rootdg you must
    > have at least one disk. Solution is to add another disk into rootdg before
    > trying to remove the one you don't want.

    In VxVM 2.x isn't possible direct remove last disk from dg. You must
    reinitilize (deinstallation and new installotion) VxVM.

  7. Re: removing last disk in rootdg

    Zbigniew Szmigiero wrote:
    >dire wrote:

    1st intialize any newdisk inside VxVM then use #vxevac disk newdisk, so that
    the new disk is replaces the old one,now just remove the disk as usally.this
    can be done even after volume is generated also.

    >> The issue is you are required to have a rootdg, and in that rootdg you

    must
    >> have at least one disk. Solution is to add another disk into rootdg before
    >> trying to remove the one you don't want.
    >>

    >In VxVM 2.x isn't possible direct remove last disk from dg. You must
    >reinitilize (deinstallation and new installotion) VxVM.

+ Reply to Thread