a1000 and veritas - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on a1000 and veritas - Veritas Volume Manager ; hey all, i have a sun a1000 (12 disks) hooked up to a machine I just installed veritas foundation suite on. I want to go RAID 5 across all the disks in the array. slice up the virtual disk into ...

  1. a1000 and veritas

    hey all,

    i have a sun a1000 (12 disks) hooked up to a machine I just installed veritas
    foundation suite on. I want to go RAID 5 across all the disks in the array.
    slice up the virtual disk into 5 disks of a fixed size. ( i need to 'mirror'
    another a1000 in case we need to drop all our data to this one)

    anyway, when I put volumemanager in and run the install it finds my other
    disks (don't touch), and finds the a1000 as 1 big set of about 57gb. what
    RAID level is it using here? all 12 disks are 9gb disks (well, 8.7 at least).
    where is the 57gb coming from? it is actually close to the number I am
    looking for (the number on the raid manager/disk suite a1000) so it is probably
    ok but I want to know what is going on.

    secondly, how would I go about cutting this up into 5 'partitions'? I perused
    the docs and i thought it would be subdisks but that doesn't seem to work.

    can anybody help?

    thanx
    ej
    erin@younetwork.com

  2. Re: a1000 and veritas

    You probably need to run /usr/lib/osa/bin/rm6 on your server to configure
    RAID5 on your A1000.

    -- Sander

    "ej" wrote in message news:38a1e7d1@hronntp01....

    > hey all,
    >
    > i have a sun a1000 (12 disks) hooked up to a machine I just installed

    veritas
    > foundation suite on. I want to go RAID 5 across all the disks in the

    array.
    > slice up the virtual disk into 5 disks of a fixed size. ( i need to

    'mirror'
    > another a1000 in case we need to drop all our data to this one)
    >
    > anyway, when I put volumemanager in and run the install it finds my other
    > disks (don't touch), and finds the a1000 as 1 big set of about 57gb. what
    > RAID level is it using here? all 12 disks are 9gb disks (well, 8.7 at

    least).
    > where is the 57gb coming from? it is actually close to the number I am
    > looking for (the number on the raid manager/disk suite a1000) so it is

    probably
    > ok but I want to know what is going on.
    >
    > secondly, how would I go about cutting this up into 5 'partitions'? I

    perused
    > the docs and i thought it would be subdisks but that doesn't seem to work.
    >
    > can anybody help?
    >
    > thanx
    > ej
    > erin@younetwork.com

  3. Re: a1000 and veritas

    normally each raid will be seen as one DG in VM.
    if you have sun RAID Manager, you can split the Array into multiple LUN's

    (that is if the array is having 10 disk , then 10 luns). this will give
    multiple target id's and VM will also look this as individual drives.
    . then you can stripe in VM and Mirror them in VM.

    let me know in case of any more questions.

    "ej" wrote:

    >hey all,
    >
    >i have a sun a1000 (12 disks) hooked up to a machine I just installed veritas
    >foundation suite on. I want to go RAID 5 across all the disks in the array.
    > slice up the virtual disk into 5 disks of a fixed size. ( i need to 'mirror'
    >another a1000 in case we need to drop all our data to this one)
    >
    >anyway, when I put volumemanager in and run the install it finds my other
    >disks (don't touch), and finds the a1000 as 1 big set of about 57gb. what
    >RAID level is it using here? all 12 disks are 9gb disks (well, 8.7 at least).
    > where is the 57gb coming from? it is actually close to the number I am
    >looking for (the number on the raid manager/disk suite a1000) so it is probably
    >ok but I want to know what is going on.
    >
    >secondly, how would I go about cutting this up into 5 'partitions'? I perused
    >the docs and i thought it would be subdisks but that doesn't seem to work.
    >
    >can anybody help?
    >
    >thanx
    >ej
    >erin@younetwork.com