Encapsulation Boot disk - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Encapsulation Boot disk - Veritas Volume Manager ; I have heard arguments for and against encapsulating the boot disk on a SUN Solaris 2.6 or 7 server. I heard from a SUN instructor you want to use Sun's Solstice Disk Suite to mirror the root device, and use ...

  1. Encapsulation Boot disk

    I have heard arguments for and against encapsulating the boot disk on a SUN
    Solaris 2.6 or 7 server. I heard from a SUN instructor you want to use Sun's
    Solstice Disk Suite to mirror the root device, and use Veritas to mirror
    and JFS the other file systems. What are the pros and cons for using Veritas
    on the root device? Thanks in advance!

  2. Re: Encapsulation Boot disk

    "Kurt von Elm" wrote:

    >I have heard arguments for and against encapsulating the boot disk on a

    SUN
    >Solaris 2.6 or 7 server. I heard from a SUN instructor you want to use

    Sun's
    >Solstice Disk Suite to mirror the root device, and use Veritas to mirror
    >and JFS the other file systems. What are the pros and cons for using Veritas
    >on the root device? Thanks in advance!

    I can only see cons on it. Firstable if you encapsulate your
    bootable disk and lets say your machine is up and running ok.
    but all of a sudden it crash or you start having problems
    with veritas then if you reset or it crash Veritas problem
    will not allow the machine to come up because you had allow it
    to control your bootable disk -It now have full control on your
    machine. So my advice is to keep Veritas out of your boot disk.
    trying to help. Thanks, Vinnie.

  3. Re: Encapsulation Boot disk

    We use it to mirror our boot disks. If the primary fails the secondary disk
    will assume the boot role. Also it allows us to control it using VM.

    Kurt von Elm wrote in message news:3895c3b5@hronntp01....

    > I have heard arguments for and against encapsulating the boot disk on a

    SUN
    > Solaris 2.6 or 7 server. I heard from a SUN instructor you want to use

    Sun's
    > Solstice Disk Suite to mirror the root device, and use Veritas to mirror
    > and JFS the other file systems. What are the pros and cons for using

    Veritas
    > on the root device? Thanks in advance!

  4. Re: Encapsulation Boot disk

    I have the boot disk encapsulated on two Solaris 2.6 servers and one running
    2.5.1. I was hesitant to go that route until I created a routine (on a test
    machine) that would create a disaster "regular" boot disk using ufsdump from
    the volume manager partitions. Once this is done, you need to change the
    /etc/vfstab, and /etc/system files on the disaster disk.

    This gives us the redundancy of mirrored boot disk and also allows an escape
    route if Volume Manager is having problems with booting. Since doing this,
    I have lost a boot disk and volume manager worked as it should. I replaced
    the disk and the users never knew.

    Kurt von Elm wrote in message news:3895c3b5@hronntp01....

    > I have heard arguments for and against encapsulating the boot disk on a

    SUN
    > Solaris 2.6 or 7 server. I heard from a SUN instructor you want to use

    Sun's
    > Solstice Disk Suite to mirror the root device, and use Veritas to mirror
    > and JFS the other file systems. What are the pros and cons for using

    Veritas
    > on the root device? Thanks in advance!

  5. How to create a disaster regular boot disk

    "tpallechio" wrote:
    >I have the boot disk encapsulated on two Solaris 2.6 servers and one running
    >2.5.1. I was hesitant to go that route until I created a routine (on a

    test
    >machine) that would create a disaster "regular" boot disk using ufsdump

    from
    >the volume manager partitions. Once this is done, you need to change the
    >/etc/vfstab, and /etc/system files on the disaster disk.
    >
    >This gives us the redundancy of mirrored boot disk and also allows an escape
    >route if Volume Manager is having problems with booting. Since doing this,
    >I have lost a boot disk and volume manager worked as it should. I replaced
    >the disk and the users never knew.
    >

    >Kurt von Elm wrote in message news:3895c3b5@hronntp01....
    >>
    >> I have heard arguments for and against encapsulating the boot disk on

    >SUN
    >> Solaris 2.6 or 7 server. I heard from a SUN instructor you want to use

    >Sun's
    >> Solstice Disk Suite to mirror the root device, and use Veritas to mirror
    >> and JFS the other file systems. What are the pros and cons for using

    >Veritas
    >> on the root device? Thanks in advance!

  6. Re: Encapsulation Boot disk

    Hi,
    u said u wrote a disaster recovery script. I'm a student at University of Padua
    and we are going to write down something similar for our Departmental Network.
    Can I have a look for it?

    Thanks a lot,
    Andrea

    tpallechio wrote:

    > I have the boot disk encapsulated on two Solaris 2.6 servers and one running
    > 2.5.1. I was hesitant to go that route until I created a routine (on a test
    > machine) that would create a disaster "regular" boot disk using ufsdump from
    > the volume manager partitions. Once this is done, you need to change the
    > /etc/vfstab, and /etc/system files on the disaster disk.
    >
    > This gives us the redundancy of mirrored boot disk and also allows an escape
    > route if Volume Manager is having problems with booting. Since doing this,
    > I have lost a boot disk and volume manager worked as it should. I replaced
    > the disk and the users never knew.
    >
    > Kurt von Elm wrote in message news:3895c3b5@hronntp01....
    > >
    > > I have heard arguments for and against encapsulating the boot disk on a

    > SUN
    > > Solaris 2.6 or 7 server. I heard from a SUN instructor you want to use

    > Sun's
    > > Solstice Disk Suite to mirror the root device, and use Veritas to mirror
    > > and JFS the other file systems. What are the pros and cons for using

    > Veritas
    > > on the root device? Thanks in advance!

+ Reply to Thread