Conversion from Solstice DiskSuite - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Conversion from Solstice DiskSuite - Veritas Volume Manager ; I have a system that I need to convert from Solstice DiskSuite to Volume Manager. The doco states that there is a tool on the website, but I haven't been able to locate it. Has anyone done this before? and ...

  1. Conversion from Solstice DiskSuite

    I have a system that I need to convert from Solstice DiskSuite to Volume
    Manager. The doco states that there is a tool on the website, but I
    haven't been able to locate it. Has anyone done this before? and if so,
    is there a tool? or do I have to hack my way around it?

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Brett

  2. Re: Conversion from Solstice DiskSuite

    From the FAQ on VM:

    Question 1: Is there a way to convert from SUN Microsystem's Solaris Disk
    Suite to VERITAS Volume Manager?

    Answer 1: Yes! VERITAS Consulting Services can perform this service for you.
    Please contact Consulting Services via e-mail to consult@veritas.com or
    visit the URL below.

    For more information about question 1, click here to visit the following

    "Brett Yesukaitis" wrote in message
    > I have a system that I need to convert from Solstice DiskSuite to Volume
    > Manager. The doco states that there is a tool on the website, but I
    > haven't been able to locate it. Has anyone done this before? and if so,
    > is there a tool? or do I have to hack my way around it?
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Brett

  3. Re: Conversion from Solstice DiskSuite

    Thats not really a "Tool" is it? I was looking for the same thing, without
    any luck either.

    So its down to the old backup, destroy, recover routine then - I have done
    this "conversion" before and it is possible to install both VM and DS on
    the same machine and have different volumes configured in both. It is then
    possible to copy from one to the other before removing DS.

    You need to have some spare disk though .

    Cheers,

    Adrian

    "Todd E. Toles" wrote:
    >From the FAQ on VM:
    >

    >Question 1: Is there a way to convert from SUN Microsystem's Solaris Disk
    >Suite to VERITAS Volume Manager?
    >
    >Answer 1: Yes! VERITAS Consulting Services can perform this service for

    you.
    >Please contact Consulting Services via e-mail to consult@veritas.com or
    >visit the URL below.
    >
    >For more information about question 1, click here to visit the following
    >

    >"Brett Yesukaitis" wrote in message
    >> I have a system that I need to convert from Solstice DiskSuite to Volume
    >> Manager. The doco states that there is a tool on the website, but I
    >> haven't been able to locate it. Has anyone done this before? and if so,
    >> is there a tool? or do I have to hack my way around it?
    >>
    >> Any help would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Brett

  4. Re: Conversion from Solstice DiskSuite

    I was frustrated by the same thing, but can't you just mount the SDS disk
    directly and then encapsulate it? After that you can just remove the SDS
    packages. I think it should work, but I haven't tried it yet.

    -- SW

    "Adrian Mills" wrote in message

    > Thats not really a "Tool" is it? I was looking for the same thing, without
    > any luck either.
    >
    > So its down to the old backup, destroy, recover routine then - I have done
    > this "conversion" before and it is possible to install both VM and DS on
    > the same machine and have different volumes configured in both. It is then
    > possible to copy from one to the other before removing DS.
    >
    > You need to have some spare disk though .
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Adrian
    >
    > "Todd E. Toles" wrote:
    > >From the FAQ on VM:
    > >

    > >Question 1: Is there a way to convert from SUN Microsystem's Solaris Disk
    > >Suite to VERITAS Volume Manager?
    > >
    > >Answer 1: Yes! VERITAS Consulting Services can perform this service for

    > you.
    > >Please contact Consulting Services via e-mail to consult@veritas.com or
    > >visit the URL below.
    > >
    > >For more information about question 1, click here to visit the following
    > >

    > >"Brett Yesukaitis" wrote in message
    > >> I have a system that I need to convert from Solstice DiskSuite to

    Volume
    > >> Manager. The doco states that there is a tool on the website, but I
    > >> haven't been able to locate it. Has anyone done this before? and if

    so,
    > >> is there a tool? or do I have to hack my way around it?
    > >>
    > >> Any help would be appreciated.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks,
    > >>
    > >> Brett

  5. Re: Conversion from Solstice DiskSuite

    So has anyone done it? I've been searching for the same thing
    (SDS->Veritas) and did a search on SunSolve to see if anything
    was there. Bug ID 4288480 was saying that you can use the upgrade
    scripts which, during pkgs removal phase would remove the SUNW
    pkgs (and I assume keep the previous information). I haven't
    tested this myself though (yet), but in Bug ID 4299395 it was
    saying the update doesn't upgrade the disk groups automatically
    after running the upgrade_finish script.
    The fix for that was to run:

    #vxdg -T 60 upgrade

    after the upgrade_start script and before the upgrade_finish.
    [BUT this means you'll not be able to restore diskgroups to
    earlier versions and you won't be able to import disk groups into
    hosts running versions prior to 3.0.2.]

    Anyway, maybe this will help someone ..
    rdgs,
    carolyn.

    "Sander Wolf" wrote:
    >I was frustrated by the same thing, but can't you just mount the SDS disk
    >directly and then encapsulate it? After that you can just remove the SDS
    >packages. I think it should work, but I haven't tried it yet.
    >
    >-- SW
    >
    >"Adrian Mills" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Thats not really a "Tool" is it? I was looking for the same thing, without
    >> any luck either.
    >>
    >> So its down to the old backup, destroy, recover routine then - I have

    done
    >> this "conversion" before and it is possible to install both VM and DS

    on
    >> the same machine and have different volumes configured in both. It is

    then
    >> possible to copy from one to the other before removing DS.
    >>
    >> You need to have some spare disk though .
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Adrian
    >>
    >> "Todd E. Toles" wrote:
    >> >From the FAQ on VM:
    >> >

    >> >Question 1: Is there a way to convert from SUN Microsystem's Solaris

    Disk
    >> >Suite to VERITAS Volume Manager?
    >> >
    >> >Answer 1: Yes! VERITAS Consulting Services can perform this service for

    >> you.
    >> >Please contact Consulting Services via e-mail to consult@veritas.com

    or
    >> >visit the URL below.
    >> >
    >> >For more information about question 1, click here to visit the following
    >> >

    >> >"Brett Yesukaitis" wrote in message

    >Volume

    >so,

  6. Re: Conversion from Solstice DiskSuite

    Hi,

    When I converted our system from ods to vxvm, I backed up my data on the
    md's (includes db dumps)on the array, disabled ods, installed vxvm, encapsulated,
    created the volumes onto the array, and restored what ever I had ... long
    process but it works ...

    iftikhar

    "Carolyn" wrote:

    >So has anyone done it? I've been searching for the same thing
    >(SDS->Veritas) and did a search on SunSolve to see if anything
    >was there. Bug ID 4288480 was saying that you can use the upgrade
    >scripts which, during pkgs removal phase would remove the SUNW
    >pkgs (and I assume keep the previous information). I haven't
    >tested this myself though (yet), but in Bug ID 4299395 it was
    >saying the update doesn't upgrade the disk groups automatically
    >after running the upgrade_finish script.
    >The fix for that was to run:
    >
    >#vxdg -T 60 upgrade
    >
    >after the upgrade_start script and before the upgrade_finish.
    >[BUT this means you'll not be able to restore diskgroups to
    >earlier versions and you won't be able to import disk groups into
    >hosts running versions prior to 3.0.2.]
    >
    >Anyway, maybe this will help someone ..
    >rdgs,
    >carolyn.
    >
    >"Sander Wolf" wrote:
    >>I was frustrated by the same thing, but can't you just mount the SDS disk
    >>directly and then encapsulate it? After that you can just remove the SDS
    >>packages. I think it should work, but I haven't tried it yet.
    >>
    >>-- SW
    >>
    >>"Adrian Mills" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Thats not really a "Tool" is it? I was looking for the same thing, without
    >>> any luck either.
    >>>
    >>> So its down to the old backup, destroy, recover routine then - I have

    >done
    >>> this "conversion" before and it is possible to install both VM and DS

    >on
    >>> the same machine and have different volumes configured in both. It is

    >then
    >>> possible to copy from one to the other before removing DS.
    >>>
    >>> You need to have some spare disk though .
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,
    >>>
    >>> Adrian

    >Disk

    for