Striped volume construction guidelines... - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Striped volume construction guidelines... - Veritas Volume Manager ; Are there any "standard" guidelines for sub disk size, stripe unit size, number of disks in a stripe set, logging, etc when planning out an oracle install on raw (unmounted) volumes?? Thanks in advance. Bruce...

  1. Striped volume construction guidelines...

    Are there any "standard" guidelines for sub disk size, stripe
    unit size, number of disks in a stripe set, logging, etc when
    planning out an oracle install on raw (unmounted) volumes??

    Thanks in advance.
    Bruce

  2. Re: Striped volume construction guidelines...

    "Bruce Kreis" wrote:

    >Are there any "standard" guidelines for sub disk size, stripe
    >unit size, number of disks in a stripe set, logging, etc when
    >planning out an oracle install on raw (unmounted) volumes??
    >
    >Thanks in advance.
    >Bruce

    bruce,
    in my knowledge, there is no specific guidelines for Sub Disk
    but for Stripe size, we have to check the read and write accesstimes (using
    dd) for the disk in that disk group. in one case i had noticed that strip
    unit size 96 gave better results and the default will be 64k (128 sectors),
    however, the HD manufactures will give the guidelines in case of unit size
    as they will be having the bench marks (that's what my colleauge says).
    with logging goes, in case of Databases maintaining their own logging and
    with raw devices, it is better avoid veritas logging as it will reduce the
    average access time (no choice in case of mirroring).

  3. Re: Striped volume construction guidelines...

    Myself I use 4 gig subdisks. Not saying that is bst but it works for me.
    I also format with 512k sectors. We have lots of small files in out
    system. Don't know of "the great and perfect way" though.

    Craig

    Bruce Kreis wrote:

    > Are there any "standard" guidelines for sub disk size, stripe
    > unit size, number of disks in a stripe set, logging, etc when
    > planning out an oracle install on raw (unmounted) volumes??
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Bruce

+ Reply to Thread