Tapes are available but Netbackup do not want to mount them - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Tapes are available but Netbackup do not want to mount them - Veritas Net Backup ; Hi, I am using netbackup 4.5 GA and for some reason, some of my tapes have been removed from the media manager database because they are expired. Since that day, netbackup do not want to use them for backups. First ...

  1. Tapes are available but Netbackup do not want to mount them

    Hi, I am using netbackup 4.5 GA and for some reason, some of my tapes have
    been removed from the media manager database because they are expired.
    Since that day, netbackup do not want to use them for backups. First of all
    I don't understand why the tapes are removed from the base, because they
    are
    supposed to never expire and once they are expired, even if Netbackup see
    them Available, it does not want to use them for the next job.
    It is a problem for me because I have a lot of sites where there is no IT
    guy
    physically present and it is a secretary who has to insert tapes every week.
    As I have on these sites only standalone drives, I have to be sure that the
    tape
    inserted will be used.
    Thank you for your help

  2. Re: Tapes are available but Netbackup do not want to mount them

    Did you set a physical expiration date on the tapes through the GUI. A
    lot of people get confused between image expiration and the media
    expiration in the GUI. The expiration that you can set in the Gui on a
    tape is a physical expiration tape. This tells NetBackup that after
    this day never use this tape again it is too old. Try taking the
    physical expiration date off the tapes and see if that fixes it. In
    the future if you need to expire images on a tape use the bpexpdate
    command.

    JR

    On 28 Jul 2005 11:56:07 -0500, "Michel" wrote:

    >Hi, I am using netbackup 4.5 GA and for some reason, some of my tapes have
    >been removed from the media manager database because they are expired.
    >Since that day, netbackup do not want to use them for backups. First of all
    >I don't understand why the tapes are removed from the base, because they
    >are
    >supposed to never expire and once they are expired, even if Netbackup see
    >them Available, it does not want to use them for the next job.
    >It is a problem for me because I have a lot of sites where there is no IT
    >guy
    >physically present and it is a secretary who has to insert tapes every week.
    >As I have on these sites only standalone drives, I have to be sure that the
    >tape
    >inserted will be used.
    >Thank you for your help

  3. Re: Tapes are available but Netbackup do not want to mount them

    Thanks Jeff for your answer.
    I did not set any expiration date using the GUI interface
    This is why the behaviour is strange.
    Normally If the tape is expired, when double click on the tape, I should
    see the state in the "expiration date" column. Or here, I can not see anything.
    Jeff Redington wrote:
    >Did you set a physical expiration date on the tapes through the GUI. A
    >lot of people get confused between image expiration and the media
    >expiration in the GUI. The expiration that you can set in the Gui on a
    >tape is a physical expiration tape. This tells NetBackup that after
    >this day never use this tape again it is too old. Try taking the
    >physical expiration date off the tapes and see if that fixes it. In
    >the future if you need to expire images on a tape use the bpexpdate
    >command.
    >
    >JR
    >
    >On 28 Jul 2005 11:56:07 -0500, "Michel" wrote:
    >

    >>Hi, I am using netbackup 4.5 GA and for some reason, some of my tapes have
    >>been removed from the media manager database because they are expired.
    >>Since that day, netbackup do not want to use them for backups. First of

    all
    >>I don't understand why the tapes are removed from the base, because they
    >>are
    >>supposed to never expire and once they are expired, even if Netbackup see
    >>them Available, it does not want to use them for the next job.
    >>It is a problem for me because I have a lot of sites where there is no

    IT
    >>guy
    >>physically present and it is a secretary who has to insert tapes every

    week.
    >>As I have on these sites only standalone drives, I have to be sure that

    the
    >>tape
    >>inserted will be used.
    >>Thank you for your help

  4. Re: Tapes are available but Netbackup do not want to mount them

    What happens if you run a vmquery on the media id.

    JR

    On 29 Jul 2005 11:00:12 -0500, "Michel" wrote:

    >Thanks Jeff for your answer.
    >I did not set any expiration date using the GUI interface
    >This is why the behaviour is strange.
    >Normally If the tape is expired, when double click on the tape, I should
    >see the state in the "expiration date" column. Or here, I can not see anything.
    >Jeff Redington wrote:
    >>Did you set a physical expiration date on the tapes through the GUI. A
    >>lot of people get confused between image expiration and the media
    >>expiration in the GUI. The expiration that you can set in the Gui on a
    >>tape is a physical expiration tape. This tells NetBackup that after
    >>this day never use this tape again it is too old. Try taking the
    >>physical expiration date off the tapes and see if that fixes it. In
    >>the future if you need to expire images on a tape use the bpexpdate
    >>command.
    >>
    >>JR
    >>
    >>On 28 Jul 2005 11:56:07 -0500, "Michel" wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi, I am using netbackup 4.5 GA and for some reason, some of my tapes have
    >>>been removed from the media manager database because they are expired.
    >>>Since that day, netbackup do not want to use them for backups. First of

    >all
    >>>I don't understand why the tapes are removed from the base, because they
    >>>are
    >>>supposed to never expire and once they are expired, even if Netbackup see
    >>>them Available, it does not want to use them for the next job.
    >>>It is a problem for me because I have a lot of sites where there is no

    >IT
    >>>guy
    >>>physically present and it is a secretary who has to insert tapes every

    >week.
    >>>As I have on these sites only standalone drives, I have to be sure that

    >the
    >>>tape
    >>>inserted will be used.
    >>>Thank you for your help