Business Server 4.5 Installation Problem - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Business Server 4.5 Installation Problem - Veritas Net Backup ; I am reinstalling NB4.5 as a master server on a Win2k server. (First installation was to the wrong drive, so I uninstalled it and am trying to reinstall it). I am doing a custom installation, with the changed install path, ...

  1. Business Server 4.5 Installation Problem

    I am reinstalling NB4.5 as a master server on a Win2k server. (First
    installation was to the wrong drive, so I uninstalled it and am trying to
    reinstall it).

    I am doing a custom installation, with the changed install path, and with a
    domain user rather than the local system account. Other than that I am using
    all the default options for installation. Everything goes smoothly until the
    install reaches the point where it says "Setting up NetBackup Global Device
    Database Host". At this point it hangs for about 30 seconds and then rolls
    back to an uninstalled status.

    Any ideas on what is going with this? Is there an install trace file I can
    consult to see further details about the installation? Any ideas would be
    appreciated.

    David

  2. Re: Business Server 4.5 Installation Problem

    >I am doing a custom installation, with the changed install path, and with

    >domain user rather than the local system account. Other than that I am using
    >all the default options for installation. Everything goes smoothly until

    the
    >install reaches the point where it says "Setting up NetBackup Global Device
    >Database Host". At this point it hangs for about 30 seconds and then rolls
    >back to an uninstalled status.
    >
    >Any ideas on what is going with this? Is there an install trace file I can
    >consult to see further details about the installation? Any ideas would be
    >appreciated.
    >
    >David

    I recently spent several days dealing with this problem, including a day
    of phone time with Veritas support. The Veritas support technicians did not
    seem capable of dealing with the problem, and I ended up cutting my losses
    and rebuilding the entire server.

    The problem appears to be in the NetBackup 4.5 Installer, which is too complicated
    and does not log well enough to shed light on why it gets to that point in
    the install and rolls back. My response to Veritas was a request that they
    dump the silly MSI installer and go back to something simple, because backup
    administrators do not have time to deal with buggy installation routines.

+ Reply to Thread