NetBackup Businessserver 4.5 & remote NDMP - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on NetBackup Businessserver 4.5 & remote NDMP - Veritas Net Backup ; Greetings - I'm trying to setup NDMP for NBU 4.5. I've got a NetApp 800 series Filer, a Windows 2000 Server, and an Overland SDLT tape drive. The robot is attached to the W2K server (not the Filer as I ...

  1. NetBackup Businessserver 4.5 & remote NDMP

    Greetings -

    I'm trying to setup NDMP for NBU 4.5. I've got a NetApp 800 series
    Filer, a Windows 2000 Server, and an Overland SDLT tape drive. The robot is
    attached to the W2K server (not the Filer as I am trying to avoid down time)
    and is used only for backing up the NAS. I have been told by Veritas that I
    should be able to do a Remote NDMP backup but they have not been able to
    assist me in configuring this.

    Has anyone else set it up this way?
    If I need to move the robot over to the Filer how does the filer recognize
    the robot?

    Thanks ,
    Mark

  2. Re: NetBackup Businessserver 4.5 & remote NDMP

    I'm fighting the same problem. I initially had a Dell 130T directly connected
    to a NetApp F760 and it lamely (no wild cards, no non-NDMP b/u's) worked.
    When I reconfigured with the tape connected directly to a Win2K machine,
    "Remote NDMP", I've gotten mostly error 57, "client refused a connection
    on the port number for bpcd". I work on this problem off and on, having
    made a manual b/u with a Dell 110T using ArcServe (equally atrocious). (My
    source material doesn't change, we only add new material via tape transfer.)
    Check that your client is id'd as PC/W2k. I'm not sure about class, documentation
    is confusing, I've tried WinX/NT with a resulting W2K application error message
    as well as NDMP. Check the password length on your NetApps, there seems
    to be an 8 character limitation, though when I had the direct hookup, it
    wasn't there.

    "Mark Patnaude" wrote:
    > Greetings -
    >
    > I'm trying to setup NDMP for NBU 4.5. I've got a NetApp 800 series
    >Filer, a Windows 2000 Server, and an Overland SDLT tape drive. The robot

    is
    >attached to the W2K server (not the Filer as I am trying to avoid down time)
    >and is used only for backing up the NAS. I have been told by Veritas that

    >should be able to do a Remote NDMP backup but they have not been able to
    >assist me in configuring this.
    >
    >Has anyone else set it up this way?
    >If I need to move the robot over to the Filer how does the filer recognize
    >the robot?
    >
    >Thanks ,
    >Mark

  3. Re: NetBackup Businessserver 4.5 & remote NDMP

    "Fred Axmacher" wrote:

    >I'm fighting the same problem. I initially had a Dell 130T directly connected
    >to a NetApp F760 and it lamely (no wild cards, no non-NDMP b/u's) worked.
    > When I reconfigured with the tape connected directly to a Win2K machine,
    >"Remote NDMP", I've gotten mostly error 57, "client refused a connection
    >on the port number for bpcd". I work on this problem off and on, having
    >made a manual b/u with a Dell 110T using ArcServe (equally atrocious).

    (My
    >source material doesn't change, we only add new material via tape transfer.)
    > Check that your client is id'd as PC/W2k. I'm not sure about class, documentation
    >is confusing, I've tried WinX/NT with a resulting W2K application error

    message
    >as well as NDMP. Check the password length on your NetApps, there seems
    >to be an 8 character limitation, though when I had the direct hookup, it
    >wasn't there.
    >
    >"Mark Patnaude" wrote:
    >> Greetings -
    >>
    >> I'm trying to setup NDMP for NBU 4.5. I've got a NetApp 800 series
    >>Filer, a Windows 2000 Server, and an Overland SDLT tape drive. The robot

    >is
    >>attached to the W2K server (not the Filer as I am trying to avoid down

    time)
    >>and is used only for backing up the NAS. I have been told by Veritas that

    >>should be able to do a Remote NDMP backup but they have not been able to
    >>assist me in configuring this.
    >>
    >>Has anyone else set it up this way?
    >>If I need to move the robot over to the Filer how does the filer recognize
    >>the robot?
    >>
    >>Thanks ,
    >>Mark

    Mark,Why don't you want to connect the tape drive to the Filer? Unless the
    filer is extremely busy 24x7, the backup shouldn't add that much I/O as it
    is going over the SCSI bus.

  4. Re: NetBackup Businessserver 4.5 & remote NDMP

    You could also try configuring the device with iSCSI. (If you have
    Gagbyte NICs. That will significantly decrease your backup time.

    Jonathan Armstrong

    On 17 Oct 2002 14:13:22 -0400, "David Beaudin"
    wrote:

    >"Fred Axmacher" wrote:
    >>
    >>I'm fighting the same problem. I initially had a Dell 130T directly connected
    >>to a NetApp F760 and it lamely (no wild cards, no non-NDMP b/u's) worked.
    >> When I reconfigured with the tape connected directly to a Win2K machine,
    >>"Remote NDMP", I've gotten mostly error 57, "client refused a connection
    >>on the port number for bpcd". I work on this problem off and on, having
    >>made a manual b/u with a Dell 110T using ArcServe (equally atrocious).

    >(My
    >>source material doesn't change, we only add new material via tape transfer.)
    >> Check that your client is id'd as PC/W2k. I'm not sure about class, documentation
    >>is confusing, I've tried WinX/NT with a resulting W2K application error

    >message
    >>as well as NDMP. Check the password length on your NetApps, there seems
    >>to be an 8 character limitation, though when I had the direct hookup, it
    >>wasn't there.
    >>
    >>"Mark Patnaude" wrote:
    >>> Greetings -
    >>>
    >>> I'm trying to setup NDMP for NBU 4.5. I've got a NetApp 800 series
    >>>Filer, a Windows 2000 Server, and an Overland SDLT tape drive. The robot

    >>is
    >>>attached to the W2K server (not the Filer as I am trying to avoid down

    >time)
    >>>and is used only for backing up the NAS. I have been told by Veritas that

    >>>should be able to do a Remote NDMP backup but they have not been able to
    >>>assist me in configuring this.
    >>>
    >>>Has anyone else set it up this way?
    >>>If I need to move the robot over to the Filer how does the filer recognize
    >>>the robot?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks ,
    >>>Mark
    >>>

    >Mark,Why don't you want to connect the tape drive to the Filer? Unless the
    >filer is extremely busy 24x7, the backup shouldn't add that much I/O as it
    >is going over the SCSI bus.

+ Reply to Thread