Error 96 - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Error 96 - Veritas Net Backup ; Error 96: unable to allocate new media for backup, storage unit has none available. Hi, I am new to NetBackup and am struggling with rotating tapes. We rotate our tapes every 2 weeks but I am now receiving a 96 ...

  1. Error 96

    Error 96: unable to allocate new media for backup, storage unit
    has none available.

    Hi, I am new to NetBackup and am struggling with rotating tapes.
    We rotate our tapes every 2 weeks but I am now receiving a 96
    error message, and dont know how to make the same tape (that is
    probably full) available to Netbackup again, is it to do with
    not setting an expiry date?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Error 96

    Well, expiration dates typically deal with the media itself (e.g., this tape
    is so old I never want to write on it again). Because this complicates
    things, I don't use this feature and keep track of tape ages myself. I
    think the key you're looking for has to do with the retention periods you
    have set up in your schedule. The admin guide has some pretty good stuff on
    this, so you'll want to refer to that for the best info...

    "Gavin Scott" wrote in message

    > Error 96: unable to allocate new media for backup, storage unit
    > has none available.
    >
    > Hi, I am new to NetBackup and am struggling with rotating tapes.
    > We rotate our tapes every 2 weeks but I am now receiving a 96
    > error message, and dont know how to make the same tape (that is
    > probably full) available to Netbackup again, is it to do with
    > not setting an expiry date?
    >
    > Thanks

  3. Re: Error 96

    /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/goodies/available_media
    how many media are available for the pool used by the class ?
    do you have a scartch pool defined ?

    > Error 96: unable to allocate new media for backup, storage unit
    > has none available.
    >
    > Hi, I am new to NetBackup and am struggling with rotating tapes.
    > We rotate our tapes every 2 weeks but I am now receiving a 96
    > error message, and dont know how to make the same tape (that is
    > probably full) available to Netbackup again, is it to do with
    > not setting an expiry date?
    >
    > Thanks

+ Reply to Thread