Can't create new volume - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Can't create new volume - Veritas Net Backup ; Hi All, I was experimenting with a full magazine of 6 4mm tapes. After I verified the tapes were interacting with the robot correctly I removed them all (unlabeled, don't care about the contents), reloaded the magazine with other tapes ...

  1. Can't create new volume

    Hi All,

    I was experimenting with a full magazine of 6 4mm tapes. After I verified
    the tapes were interacting with the robot correctly I removed them all
    (unlabeled, don't care about the contents), reloaded the magazine with other
    tapes and remounted the cartridge.

    How do I erase the new tapes and make them aavailable to NetBackup? They are
    full of data from backups using a different utility. I've clicked all the
    buttons in the New Volume Group, New Volume and New Volume Pool with no
    luck.

    I did 'RTFM' and was amazed at how little useable information can be spread
    out over a whole book!

    Thanks!

    Mark

  2. Re: Can't create new volume

    1. run inventory of the robot
    volume and device management eGUI ,select robot >>actions inventory robot
    select the option update straight away
    In this way netbackup will create all your volume ,it will be accurate
    enough especially if you have a label reader on the robot
    2. in the main console start >>configure netbackup >>right click on the
    master server --read/write
    there is a tab which enable you to over write various format (select all of
    them ) TAR ,CPIO,etc...

    This should enable you to use tape previously used on other software (ie
    image gets over written )

    el zorro

    "Magpie13" wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I was experimenting with a full magazine of 6 4mm tapes. After I verified
    > the tapes were interacting with the robot correctly I removed them all
    > (unlabeled, don't care about the contents), reloaded the magazine with

    other
    > tapes and remounted the cartridge.
    >
    > How do I erase the new tapes and make them aavailable to NetBackup? They

    are
    > full of data from backups using a different utility. I've clicked all the
    > buttons in the New Volume Group, New Volume and New Volume Pool with no
    > luck.
    >
    > I did 'RTFM' and was amazed at how little useable information can be

    spread
    > out over a whole book!
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Mark

  3. Re: Can't create new volume

    Thanks!

    I ended up doing the DOS delete volume process. If it happens again I'll try
    that. Part of the problem was that I had different length tapes in the
    cartridge. Didn't know that was a no-no.

    Here's the 'Delete' process for anyone that has the same issue:

    ///////////////////
    Veritas: Delete Volumes

    How can I delete an assigned tape?

    Solution:

    To deassign media for deletion, it is necessary to first expire the images
    on the tape and then de-assign the tapes.

    Example to delete tape GC0001, the steps are as follows:

    1. Expire the images on tape GC0001:

    \NetBackup\bin\admincmd\bpexpdate -ev GC0001 -d 0

    2. De-assign the tape GC0001:

    a. Find the pool number for the tape GC0001:

    \volmgr\bin\vmquery -m GC0001cd

    Sample output:

    media ID: GC0001

    media type: DLT cartridge tape (11)

    barcode: GC0001

    volume pool: NetBackup (1)

    Take note of the volume pool number, in the case above the tape GC0001 is in
    Volume Pool NetBackup which has pool number 1 ( the number in the brackets
    next to the pool name).

    b. Now it is possible to de-assign the tape so it can be deleted:

    The vmquery command syntax is:

    \volmgr\bin\vmquery -deassignbyid

    Note: Status applies only to volumes that are assigned to NetBackup or
    Storage Migrator.

    A status of 0 means it is assigned to NetBackup regular backups.

    A status of 1 means it is assigned to NetBackup database backups.

    A status of 2 means it is assigned to Storage Migrator.

    So the command using tape GC0001 is:

    \volmgr\bin\vmquery -deassignbyid GC0001 1 0

    ////////////////////

    Mark

    "Zorro" wrote in message news:3b71bce9@hronntp01....
    > 1. run inventory of the robot
    > volume and device management eGUI ,select robot >>actions inventory robot
    > select the option update straight away
    > In this way netbackup will create all your volume ,it will be accurate
    > enough especially if you have a label reader on the robot
    > 2. in the main console start >>configure netbackup >>right click on the
    > master server --read/write
    > there is a tab which enable you to over write various format (select all

    of
    > them ) TAR ,CPIO,etc...
    >
    > This should enable you to use tape previously used on other software (ie
    > image gets over written )
    >
    > el zorro
    >
    > "Magpie13" wrote in message
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > I was experimenting with a full magazine of 6 4mm tapes. After I

    verified
    > > the tapes were interacting with the robot correctly I removed them all
    > > (unlabeled, don't care about the contents), reloaded the magazine with

    > other
    > > tapes and remounted the cartridge.
    > >
    > > How do I erase the new tapes and make them aavailable to NetBackup? They

    > are
    > > full of data from backups using a different utility. I've clicked all

    the
    > > buttons in the New Volume Group, New Volume and New Volume Pool with no
    > > luck.
    > >
    > > I did 'RTFM' and was amazed at how little useable information can be

    > spread
    > > out over a whole book!
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > >
    > > Mark