NetBackup 3.4 DB backup tape assignment problem - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on NetBackup 3.4 DB backup tape assignment problem - Veritas Net Backup ; First off, I think I'm running BusinesServer, but I'm not sure and I don't know how to tell. So sorry if this is the wrong group. I've gotten into a situation where I can't change the NetBackup database backup media. ...

  1. NetBackup 3.4 DB backup tape assignment problem

    First off, I think I'm running BusinesServer, but I'm not sure and I don't
    know how to tell. So sorry if this is the wrong group.

    I've gotten into a situation where I can't change the NetBackup database
    backup media. When I try to change the Media ID via "NetBackup Administration
    -> File -> Change NetBackup DB Backup Attributes", I get the error message
    "requested media id is in use, cannot process request (NB:97)". It appears
    that it's the old tapes
    that are "in use" and not the new ones. They are not in use in any way that
    I can figure. Some troubleshooting led me to try to deassign the tapes,
    but that gets me an error message that reads "Could not deassign media ID
    NB7002: volume is already assigned (93)", which is the world's stupidest
    error message; why would I try to deassign a volume that *wasn't* already
    assigned?

    Anyway, all I want to do is to swap out the tapes used for the DB backup.

    Any ideas?

    This is 3.4 under Solaris 8.

    -Bitt Faulk

  2. Re: NetBackup 3.4 DB backup tape assignment problem

    Do a vmquery on the tapes that you want to use to make sure they are
    not already assigned. If they are, you will need to deassign them
    before trying to use them for db backups. You may also want to look at
    the technote on reusing db tapes if you want to use your old catalog
    tapes again later.

    JR

    On 3 Aug 2005 13:55:14 -0500, "Bitt Faulk" wrote:

    >First off, I think I'm running BusinesServer, but I'm not sure and I don't
    >know how to tell. So sorry if this is the wrong group.
    >
    >I've gotten into a situation where I can't change the NetBackup database
    >backup media. When I try to change the Media ID via "NetBackup Administration
    >-> File -> Change NetBackup DB Backup Attributes", I get the error message
    >"requested media id is in use, cannot process request (NB:97)". It appears
    >that it's the old tapes
    >that are "in use" and not the new ones. They are not in use in any way that
    >I can figure. Some troubleshooting led me to try to deassign the tapes,
    >but that gets me an error message that reads "Could not deassign media ID
    >NB7002: volume is already assigned (93)", which is the world's stupidest
    >error message; why would I try to deassign a volume that *wasn't* already
    >assigned?
    >
    >Anyway, all I want to do is to swap out the tapes used for the DB backup.
    >
    >Any ideas?
    >
    >This is 3.4 under Solaris 8.
    >
    >-Bitt Faulk

  3. Re: NetBackup 3.4 DB backup tape assignment problem

    Jeff Redington wrote:
    > Do a vmquery on the tapes that you want to use to make sure they are
    > not already assigned. If they are, you will need to deassign them
    > before trying to use them for db backups. You may also want to look at
    > the technote on reusing db tapes if you want to use your old catalog
    > tapes again later.

    Thanks for responding. As I said, I was having trouble deassigning
    them. Turns out they were frozen and wouldn't let me deassign them for
    that reason. I unfroze them and the deassigned them and I still have
    the same problem.

    Any other ideas?

    -Bitt

  4. Re: NetBackup 3.4 DB backup tape assignment problem

    Sorry,

    I think you misunderstand. When I say deassign the tapes, I am talking
    about the new ones. When you try to deassign the old catalog tapes are
    you including the pool number? I seem to remember that being needed
    for deassigning catalog tapes. Anyway, if all else fails you could try
    renaming the sync file (which contains the catalog backup
    configuration information) located in:

    \NetBackup\db\config

    and then try to configure your catalog again. Sometimes the catalog
    config file becomes corrupt and will cause problems like this.

    JR

    On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 14:30:47 -0400, Bitt Faulk
    wrote:

    >Jeff Redington wrote:
    >> Do a vmquery on the tapes that you want to use to make sure they are
    >> not already assigned. If they are, you will need to deassign them
    >> before trying to use them for db backups. You may also want to look at
    >> the technote on reusing db tapes if you want to use your old catalog
    >> tapes again later.

    >Thanks for responding. As I said, I was having trouble deassigning
    >them. Turns out they were frozen and wouldn't let me deassign them for
    >that reason. I unfroze them and the deassigned them and I still have
    >the same problem.
    >
    >Any other ideas?
    >
    >-Bitt

+ Reply to Thread