Is OTM part of Netbackup Business Server 3.4? - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Is OTM part of Netbackup Business Server 3.4? - Veritas Net Backup ; Hi all, We installed Netbackup 3.4 business server last April. When the Veritas install guy was here to do the install and help us configure it, he configured OTM (Open Transaction Manager) on some of our NT clients. Sounded great ...

  1. Is OTM part of Netbackup Business Server 3.4?

    Hi all,

    We installed Netbackup 3.4 business server last April. When the Veritas
    install guy was here to do the install and help us configure it, he
    configured OTM (Open Transaction Manager) on some of our NT clients. Sounded
    great to us! :-)

    Well, the other day I needed to restore some stuff from one of the NT
    backups and I find that it's not on any of my tapes! Yikes! I find out that
    the stuff wasn't backed up because it was considered an "open file". I
    thought OTM was supposed to take care of that. After some testing, I turned
    on logging for OTM on the NT client. When I checked the log it said that
    there's no license on the server for OTM.

    That sure surprised me. Since the Veritas guy configured OTM for me I
    assumed (I guess that was a bad thing to do) that OTM came with NB Business
    Server.

    So I guess I have a couple of questions. 1) Is OTM part of NB Business
    Server or is it a separate package that I need to buy a license for? 2) If
    it is a licensed product, do I just need to buy one license that'll cover
    all 8 clients (well 6 NT - 2 clients are Solaris) or do I need to buy one
    for EACH NT machine?

    Thanks for any help/info. Oh, BTW, my NB server is running on a Sun Ultra 10
    w/ Solaris 7 (if it matters).

    -Gary

  2. Re: Is OTM part of Netbackup Business Server 3.4?

    on the master server run
    ../netbackup/bin/goodies/support > master.txt you will see the type of
    license you have and what features is enabled ...

    "Gary Richardson" wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > We installed Netbackup 3.4 business server last April. When the Veritas
    > install guy was here to do the install and help us configure it, he
    > configured OTM (Open Transaction Manager) on some of our NT clients.

    Sounded
    > great to us! :-)
    >
    > Well, the other day I needed to restore some stuff from one of the NT
    > backups and I find that it's not on any of my tapes! Yikes! I find out

    that
    > the stuff wasn't backed up because it was considered an "open file". I
    > thought OTM was supposed to take care of that. After some testing, I

    turned
    > on logging for OTM on the NT client. When I checked the log it said that
    > there's no license on the server for OTM.
    >
    > That sure surprised me. Since the Veritas guy configured OTM for me I
    > assumed (I guess that was a bad thing to do) that OTM came with NB

    Business
    > Server.
    >
    > So I guess I have a couple of questions. 1) Is OTM part of NB Business
    > Server or is it a separate package that I need to buy a license for? 2)

    If
    > it is a licensed product, do I just need to buy one license that'll cover
    > all 8 clients (well 6 NT - 2 clients are Solaris) or do I need to buy one
    > for EACH NT machine?
    >
    > Thanks for any help/info. Oh, BTW, my NB server is running on a Sun Ultra

    10
    > w/ Solaris 7 (if it matters).
    >
    > -Gary

  3. Re: Is OTM part of Netbackup Business Server 3.4?

    > Hi all,
    >
    > We installed Netbackup 3.4 business server last April. When the Veritas
    > install guy was here to do the install and help us configure it, he
    > configured OTM (Open Transaction Manager) on some of our NT clients.

    Sounded
    > great to us! :-)
    >
    > Well, the other day I needed to restore some stuff from one of the NT
    > backups and I find that it's not on any of my tapes! Yikes! I find out

    that
    > the stuff wasn't backed up because it was considered an "open file". I
    > thought OTM was supposed to take care of that. After some testing, I

    turned
    > on logging for OTM on the NT client. When I checked the log it said that
    > there's no license on the server for OTM.
    >
    > That sure surprised me. Since the Veritas guy configured OTM for me I
    > assumed (I guess that was a bad thing to do) that OTM came with NB

    Business
    > Server.
    >
    > So I guess I have a couple of questions. 1) Is OTM part of NB Business
    > Server or is it a separate package that I need to buy a license for? 2)

    If
    > it is a licensed product, do I just need to buy one license that'll cover
    > all 8 clients (well 6 NT - 2 clients are Solaris) or do I need to buy one
    > for EACH NT machine?
    >
    > Thanks for any help/info. Oh, BTW, my NB server is running on a Sun Ultra

    10
    > w/ Solaris 7 (if it matters).
    >
    > -Gary

  4. Re: Is OTM part of Netbackup Business Server 3.4?

    No.

    The OTM is a seperate purchased license with Business Server.

    Mickey
    "Zorro" wrote in message news:3c6c250a@hronntp01....
    > on the master server run
    > ./netbackup/bin/goodies/support > master.txt you will see the type of
    > license you have and what features is enabled ...
    >
    > "Gary Richardson" wrote in message
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > We installed Netbackup 3.4 business server last April. When the Veritas
    > > install guy was here to do the install and help us configure it, he
    > > configured OTM (Open Transaction Manager) on some of our NT clients.

    > Sounded
    > > great to us! :-)
    > >
    > > Well, the other day I needed to restore some stuff from one of the NT
    > > backups and I find that it's not on any of my tapes! Yikes! I find out

    > that
    > > the stuff wasn't backed up because it was considered an "open file". I
    > > thought OTM was supposed to take care of that. After some testing, I

    > turned
    > > on logging for OTM on the NT client. When I checked the log it said that
    > > there's no license on the server for OTM.
    > >
    > > That sure surprised me. Since the Veritas guy configured OTM for me I
    > > assumed (I guess that was a bad thing to do) that OTM came with NB

    > Business
    > > Server.
    > >
    > > So I guess I have a couple of questions. 1) Is OTM part of NB Business
    > > Server or is it a separate package that I need to buy a license for? 2)

    > If
    > > it is a licensed product, do I just need to buy one license that'll

    cover
    > > all 8 clients (well 6 NT - 2 clients are Solaris) or do I need to buy

    one
    > > for EACH NT machine?
    > >
    > > Thanks for any help/info. Oh, BTW, my NB server is running on a Sun

    Ultra
    > 10
    > > w/ Solaris 7 (if it matters).
    > >
    > > -Gary

  5. Re: Is OTM part of Netbackup Business Server 3.4?

    No.

    The OTM is a seperate purchased license with Business Server.

    Mickey
    "Zorro" wrote in message news:3c6c250a@hronntp01....
    > on the master server run
    > ./netbackup/bin/goodies/support > master.txt you will see the type of
    > license you have and what features is enabled ...
    >
    > "Gary Richardson" wrote in message
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > We installed Netbackup 3.4 business server last April. When the Veritas
    > > install guy was here to do the install and help us configure it, he
    > > configured OTM (Open Transaction Manager) on some of our NT clients.

    > Sounded
    > > great to us! :-)
    > >
    > > Well, the other day I needed to restore some stuff from one of the NT
    > > backups and I find that it's not on any of my tapes! Yikes! I find out

    > that
    > > the stuff wasn't backed up because it was considered an "open file". I
    > > thought OTM was supposed to take care of that. After some testing, I

    > turned
    > > on logging for OTM on the NT client. When I checked the log it said that
    > > there's no license on the server for OTM.
    > >
    > > That sure surprised me. Since the Veritas guy configured OTM for me I
    > > assumed (I guess that was a bad thing to do) that OTM came with NB

    > Business
    > > Server.
    > >
    > > So I guess I have a couple of questions. 1) Is OTM part of NB Business
    > > Server or is it a separate package that I need to buy a license for? 2)

    > If
    > > it is a licensed product, do I just need to buy one license that'll

    cover
    > > all 8 clients (well 6 NT - 2 clients are Solaris) or do I need to buy

    one
    > > for EACH NT machine?
    > >
    > > Thanks for any help/info. Oh, BTW, my NB server is running on a Sun

    Ultra
    > 10
    > > w/ Solaris 7 (if it matters).
    > >
    > > -Gary