Filling up a tape - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Filling up a tape - Veritas Net Backup ; I am new to Netbackup so bear with me. I am backing up 2 solaris servers in a test environment to see how to use Netbackup and I'm seeing something strange. No matter how many full backups I do it ...

  1. Filling up a tape

    I am new to Netbackup so bear with me. I am backing up 2 solaris
    servers in a test environment to see how to use Netbackup and
    I'm seeing something strange. No matter how many full backups
    I do it never changes to the second tape. I am using an L9
    autoloader so I would assume that when the tape fills up it will
    load the next. Right? Does Veritas know that I'm backing up the
    same data over and over and therefore won't overwrite the original?
    Thanks for any insite.

  2. Re: Filling up a tape

    "Jack Hoffman" wrote in message

    > I am new to Netbackup so bear with me. I am backing up 2 solaris
    > servers in a test environment to see how to use Netbackup and
    > I'm seeing something strange. No matter how many full backups
    > I do it never changes to the second tape.

    Howmany media are available in the pool you designated for backup
    ../netbackup/bin/goodies/available_media
    How much data can one media can hold ?

    I am using an L9
    > autoloader so I would assume that when the tape fills up it will
    > load the next. Right?

    if I remember there is a chapter in the admin guide concerning the algorithm
    netbackup uses for selecting a tape for backup (retension level ,active
    ,assigned ,etc...)

    Does Veritas know that I'm backing up the
    > same data over and over and therefore won't overwrite the original?

    There is no notion of delta backup in netbackup therefore each backup will
    write an image to the tape ...

    > Thanks for any insite.

+ Reply to Thread