Re-use of tape? - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Re-use of tape? - Veritas Net Backup ; In the process of learning how to create a duplicate, I used one piece of media in my tape library. I would now like to re-use that media to perform an actual duplicate of real data. My question is, how ...

  1. Re-use of tape?

    In the process of learning how to create a duplicate, I used one piece of
    media in my tape library. I would now like to re-use that media to perform
    an actual duplicate of real data.

    My question is, how do I reset the retention period on that one tape so I
    can re-use it now?
    Thanks,
    Mike...

  2. Re: Re-use of tape?

    Use bpexpdate from netbackup/bin/admincmd directory for expire the preferred
    tape.

    Mike Potvin wrote:

    > In the process of learning how to create a duplicate, I used one piece of
    > media in my tape library. I would now like to re-use that media to perform
    > an actual duplicate of real data.
    >
    > My question is, how do I reset the retention period on that one tape so I
    > can re-use it now?
    > Thanks,
    > Mike...

  3. Re: Re-use of tape?

    Mike Potvin wrote:

    > In the process of learning how to create a duplicate, I used one piece of
    > media in my tape library. I would now like to re-use that media to perform
    > an actual duplicate of real data.
    >
    > My question is, how do I reset the retention period on that one tape so I
    > can re-use it now?
    > Thanks,
    > Mike...

  4. Re: Re-use of tape?

    Thanks for the reply Vladislav.

    I thought the concept of expiration date was different than retention period.
    It is my understanding that expiration refers to the number of uses that
    tape has before it is no longer reliable whereas retention is the length
    of time the data on the tape should be kept before the tape can be reused.

    I tried a bpexpdate -ev DYP123 -d 0
    but when I tried to create anothe duplicate, it did not use DYP123.

    Thanks,
    Mike...

    Vladislav Simileac wrote:

    >Use bpexpdate from netbackup/bin/admincmd directory for expire the preferred
    >tape.
    >
    >Mike Potvin wrote:
    >
    >> In the process of learning how to create a duplicate, I used one piece

    of
    >> media in my tape library. I would now like to re-use that media to perform
    >> an actual duplicate of real data.
    >>
    >> My question is, how do I reset the retention period on that one tape so

    >> can re-use it now?
    >> Thanks,
    >> Mike...

    >begin:vcard