can netbackup be configured for 2 drives and 30 slots eventhough the library is 4 drives and 40 slots - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on can netbackup be configured for 2 drives and 30 slots eventhough the library is 4 drives and 40 slots - Veritas Net Backup ; hi there.. I have a problem here regarding licensing issue. I've been using veritas netbackup business server 3.4.1 with tandberg 1440 library. our license is only for 2 drives and 30 slots but our library have 4 drives and 40 ...

  1. can netbackup be configured for 2 drives and 30 slots eventhough the library is 4 drives and 40 slots

    hi there..

    I have a problem here regarding licensing issue.

    I've been using veritas netbackup business server 3.4.1 with tandberg 1440
    library.
    our license is only for 2 drives and 30 slots but our library have 4 drives
    and 40 slots.
    can veritas configure the software for only 2 drives and 30 slots without
    having the additional drives and slots being disabled/physically taken off.

  2. Re: can netbackup be configured for 2 drives and 30 slots eventhough the library is 4 drives and 40 slots

    That should be possible.

    "mild7" wrote:
    >hi there..
    >
    >I have a problem here regarding licensing issue.
    >
    >I've been using veritas netbackup business server 3.4.1 with tandberg 1440
    >library.
    >our license is only for 2 drives and 30 slots but our library have 4 drives
    >and 40 slots.
    >can veritas configure the software for only 2 drives and 30 slots without
    >having the additional drives and slots being disabled/physically taken off.

  3. Re: can netbackup be configured for 2 drives and 30 slots eventhough the library is 4 drives and 40 slots

    1. Configure everything as usual (devices ,tape drives ,etc...) and create
    your storageunit then down the drive you do not want to use
    2. Configure only 2 drives out of 4 then the storage unit will pickup your
    configuration
    3 .configure all the devices then in the storage unit specify you are using
    only two drives (bpstulist ,bpstuadd,etc...

    All those methods have one common denominator :you should not inventory your
    robot but create your volumes manually (restricting the number of slots )

    Hassani youssouf

    "mild7" wrote in message news:3b734b3b@hronntp01....
    > hi there..
    >
    > I have a problem here regarding licensing issue.
    >
    > I've been using veritas netbackup business server 3.4.1 with tandberg 1440
    > library.
    > our license is only for 2 drives and 30 slots but our library have 4

    drives
    > and 40 slots.
    > can veritas configure the software for only 2 drives and 30 slots without
    > having the additional drives and slots being disabled/physically taken

    off.

  4. Re: can netbackup be configured for 2 drives and 30 slots eventhough the library is 4 drives and 40 slots

    Hi,

    I believe that if there are 4 same type of drives, NetBackup must divide
    them
    into one storage unit and could not follow what you said.

    Rick huang

    "Zorro" wrote in message news:3b7847f4$1@hronntp01....

    > 1. Configure everything as usual (devices ,tape drives ,etc...) and create
    > your storageunit then down the drive you do not want to use
    > 2. Configure only 2 drives out of 4 then the storage unit will pickup your
    > configuration
    > 3 .configure all the devices then in the storage unit specify you are

    using
    > only two drives (bpstulist ,bpstuadd,etc...
    >
    > All those methods have one common denominator :you should not inventory

    your
    > robot but create your volumes manually (restricting the number of slots )
    >
    > Hassani youssouf
    >
    > "mild7" wrote in message news:3b734b3b@hronntp01....
    > > hi there..
    > >
    > > I have a problem here regarding licensing issue.
    > >
    > > I've been using veritas netbackup business server 3.4.1 with tandberg

    1440
    > > library.
    > > our license is only for 2 drives and 30 slots but our library have 4

    > drives
    > > and 40 slots.
    > > can veritas configure the software for only 2 drives and 30 slots

    without
    > > having the additional drives and slots being disabled/physically taken

    > off.

  5. Re: can netbackup be configured for 2 drives and 30 slots eventhough the library is 4 drives and 40 slots

    you will have to reconstruct your storage unit based on the instructions
    provided precedently :
    - Have you downed two drives out of the four (ie device monitoring )
    - the storage unit can see the 4 drives because you have mapped netbackup to
    the four drives (no other reasons ) therefore :
    1. remove the storage unit
    2. media and device management or tpconfig
    3 . reconfigure the storage unit

    > > 1. Configure everything as usual (devices ,tape drives ,etc...) and

    create
    > > your storageunit then down the drive you do not want to use
    > > 2. Configure only 2 drives out of 4 then the storage unit will pickup

    your
    > > configuration
    > > 3 .configure all the devices then in the storage unit specify you are

    > using
    > > only two drives (bpstulist ,bpstuadd,etc...
    > >
    > > All those methods have one common denominator :you should not inventory

    > your
    > > robot but create your volumes manually (restricting the number of

    slots )

    > > Hassani youssouf
    > >
    > > "mild7" wrote in message news:3b734b3b@hronntp01....
    > > > hi there..
    > > >
    > > > I have a problem here regarding licensing issue.
    > > >
    > > > I've been using veritas netbackup business server 3.4.1 with tandberg

    > 1440
    > > > library.
    > > > our license is only for 2 drives and 30 slots but our library have 4

    > > drives
    > > > and 40 slots.
    > > > can veritas configure the software for only 2 drives and 30 slots

    > without
    > > > having the additional drives and slots being disabled/physically taken

    > > off.

+ Reply to Thread