Business server SLOWER than ufsdump - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Business server SLOWER than ufsdump - Veritas Net Backup ; I have a couple of Sun E250 boxes with 2 CPUs and 2 Gb of memory using Netbackup Business server 3.4A on Solaris 8 64 bit, patched to May 2001 recommended patches. Veritas patch patchJ0850645 and J0850482.solaris_231299 applied also. Machines ...

  1. Business server SLOWER than ufsdump

    I have a couple of Sun E250 boxes with 2 CPUs and 2 Gb of memory
    using Netbackup Business server 3.4A on Solaris 8 64 bit,
    patched to May 2001 recommended patches.
    Veritas patch patchJ0850645 and J0850482.solaris_231299 applied also.
    Machines backup to their own local StoreEdge L9 robot
    with a single DLT4 drive.
    Tape robot is on its own SCSI controller.

    Prepatch backup of 32 Gb took 3 hours versus 30 minutes
    for ufsdump.
    Postpatching an 11 Gb test file tales 41 minutes on Netbackup,
    versus 20 minutes for ufsdump.
    File contents are incompressable.
    ie Netbackup went from being 300% slower than ufsdump to 200% slower.
    Performance is identical whether scripts or Java client is used
    to initate backup. Tape drive is stopping and starting
    instead of streaming.
    Any ideas ?

  2. Re: Business server SLOWER than ufsdump

    Hi Roger,

    did you say, that the patched version of NetBackup is slower than the unpatched?!?

    o It doesn't matter how you initiate the backup (script or java) the performace
    should be the same.

    o ufsdump should always be faster unless you use the VERITAS NetBackup FlashBackup
    extension. If you want to compare the backup performance or want to show
    that NetBackup is 'slow' you have to compare the backup with the os tar command.
    (Unless
    you are not using Flashbackup or use raw device backup)

    o If the tape is not streaming either the buffer size/number is
    not optimal or the disks 'are just slow'. Actualy you don't get the data
    as fast from the disk to keep the tape streaming. I
    would recommend to tune the disk layout / partitioning and use
    VERITAS Filesystem and VolumManager.

    Joerg

    "Roger Denholm" wrote:

    >I have a couple of Sun E250 boxes with 2 CPUs and 2 Gb of memory
    >using Netbackup Business server 3.4A on Solaris 8 64 bit,
    >patched to May 2001 recommended patches.
    >Veritas patch patchJ0850645 and J0850482.solaris_231299 applied also.
    >Machines backup to their own local StoreEdge L9 robot
    >with a single DLT4 drive.
    >Tape robot is on its own SCSI controller.
    >
    >Prepatch backup of 32 Gb took 3 hours versus 30 minutes
    >for ufsdump.
    >Postpatching an 11 Gb test file tales 41 minutes on Netbackup,
    >versus 20 minutes for ufsdump.
    >File contents are incompressable.
    >ie Netbackup went from being 300% slower than ufsdump to 200% slower.
    >Performance is identical whether scripts or Java client is used
    >to initate backup. Tape drive is stopping and starting
    >instead of streaming.
    >Any ideas ?

  3. Help: ufsdump remotehost:/dev/rmt/0hn is rewinding

    Hi,
    I have configured the Adic LTO autoloader to backup the Netapp using remote
    ndmp and netbackup V4.5. The drive is connect direct to media server. If
    I using the the same tape drive to backup regular unix workstation using
    ufsdump, the tape drive always rewind, even if I specified non-rewind device
    (/dev/rmt/0hn). This happen when I use veritas "sg*" driver, which suggested
    for NB v4.5.

    Is this a software bug ?

    Thanks
    Minh