Netbackup - backup of Exchange Mailboxes is very slow, normal backup is okay. What's the problem? - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Netbackup - backup of Exchange Mailboxes is very slow, normal backup is okay. What's the problem? - Veritas Net Backup ; We are using Netbackup 3.4.1 with latest patches. Notmal backup is running fine from several servers with Netbackup Client. (5-7 MB/s) Only saving the Exchange 5.5 Mailboxes are causing massive problem (total data arround 25GB). The speed transfering the files ...

  1. Netbackup - backup of Exchange Mailboxes is very slow, normal backup is okay. What's the problem?

    We are using Netbackup 3.4.1 with latest patches. Notmal backup is running
    fine from several servers with Netbackup Client. (5-7 MB/s) Only saving the
    Exchange 5.5 Mailboxes are causing massive problem (total data arround 25GB).
    The speed transfering the files from the server to the tape library is arround
    200 KB/s (!) Only this Exchange-backup job is so slow. A normal backup from
    the same server is ok.
    Has anyone an idea what I can do to speed up the backup?

    Regards,
    Marco

  2. Re: Netbackup - backup of Exchange Mailboxes is very slow, normal backup is okay. What's the problem?

    A client of ours had that same problem when running individual mailbox
    backups. Running a normal store backup made the speed go back to normal.

    "Marco" skrev i meddelandet news:41383b02@ROSASTDMZ05....

    > We are using Netbackup 3.4.1 with latest patches. Notmal backup is running
    > fine from several servers with Netbackup Client. (5-7 MB/s) Only saving

    the
    > Exchange 5.5 Mailboxes are causing massive problem (total data arround

    25GB).
    > The speed transfering the files from the server to the tape library is

    arround
    > 200 KB/s (!) Only this Exchange-backup job is so slow. A normal backup

    from
    > the same server is ok.
    > Has anyone an idea what I can do to speed up the backup?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Marco

  3. Re: Netbackup - backup of Exchange Mailboxes is very slow, normal backup is okay. What's the problem?

    Individual mailbox backups are slow using any backup product. This is
    because of the api implementation from Microsoft. The backup vendors
    have to log into each mailbox and then open and backup each item
    individually. It is a painfully slow process. If you just back up the
    stores that is faster but then recovering individual messages becomes
    more difficult.

    JR

    On 3 Sep 2004 04:36:02 -0500, "Marco" wrote:

    >We are using Netbackup 3.4.1 with latest patches. Notmal backup is running
    >fine from several servers with Netbackup Client. (5-7 MB/s) Only saving the
    >Exchange 5.5 Mailboxes are causing massive problem (total data arround 25GB).
    >The speed transfering the files from the server to the tape library is arround
    >200 KB/s (!) Only this Exchange-backup job is so slow. A normal backup from
    >the same server is ok.
    >Has anyone an idea what I can do to speed up the backup?
    >
    >Regards,
    >Marco

  4. Re: Netbackup - backup of Exchange Mailboxes is very slow, normal backup is okay. What's the problem?

    I too have the same issue. Is there any type of fix? I have a private store
    of 120gb. Doing at least a weekly message level backup would help. The store
    backup flies, but the message one crawls. I understand the problem. Doing
    just a store backup and then having to restore a 120gb store to retreive
    a contact or message is PAINFULL. I know I should break up my stores into
    smaller more manageable units.

    Does anyone see a change in the future that will allow us to up the speed
    of message level backups?

    Mike

    Jeff Redington wrote:
    >Individual mailbox backups are slow using any backup product. This is
    >because of the api implementation from Microsoft. The backup vendors
    >have to log into each mailbox and then open and backup each item
    >individually. It is a painfully slow process. If you just back up the
    >stores that is faster but then recovering individual messages becomes
    >more difficult.
    >
    >JR
    >
    >On 3 Sep 2004 04:36:02 -0500, "Marco" wrote:
    >

    >>We are using Netbackup 3.4.1 with latest patches. Notmal backup is running
    >>fine from several servers with Netbackup Client. (5-7 MB/s) Only saving

    the
    >>Exchange 5.5 Mailboxes are causing massive problem (total data arround

    25GB).
    >>The speed transfering the files from the server to the tape library is

    arround
    >>200 KB/s (!) Only this Exchange-backup job is so slow. A normal backup

    from
    >>the same server is ok.
    >>Has anyone an idea what I can do to speed up the backup?
    >>
    >>Regards,
    >>Marco

+ Reply to Thread