Fixing the 5.0 Veritas client - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Fixing the 5.0 Veritas client - Veritas Net Backup ; Hello all. I struggled with a problem for several hours today, and found a fix. I thought I'd share it! Problem: Getting authentication failed or timeout errors when running backups. Using Netbackup Enterprise 5.0. If I tried to check the ...

  1. Fixing the 5.0 Veritas client

    Hello all. I struggled with a problem for several hours today, and found
    a fix. I thought I'd share it!

    Problem: Getting authentication failed or timeout errors when running
    backups. Using Netbackup Enterprise 5.0. If I tried to check the client
    settings from the master server, I got the very informative "invalid
    error number message"

    To fix:
    1. Shut down the Vertias client service
    2. Disable the NIC on the backup side (oooh, don't pick the wrong one
    on this step!!)
    3. Run Task Manager. Look for the programs bpbkar32.exe , bpfis.exe, and
    bpjava-msvc.exe . If they are running, end them.
    4. Re-enable the NIC
    5. Start the Vertias client service again

    Steps 2 and 4 were done in my environment, where the systems are on 2
    networks: The production one, and the backup one. Those steps probably
    are not needed, in either a single or dual network environment.

    Hope this helps someone! I also hope Veritas sees this, and puts code
    into the agent to shut down ALL of it when the service is shut down.

    Sean

  2. Re: Fixing the 5.0 Veritas client and error code 160

    We had the same problem with an error code 160.
    We did this, except steps 2 and 4, and it worked !!!!

    Thanks a lot Sean.
    Magda

    >Hello all. I struggled with a problem for several hours today, and found

    >a fix. I thought I'd share it!
    >
    >Problem: Getting authentication failed or timeout errors when running
    >backups. Using Netbackup Enterprise 5.0. If I tried to check the client

    >settings from the master server, I got the very informative "invalid
    >error number message"
    >
    >To fix:
    >1. Shut down the Vertias client service
    >2. Disable the NIC on the backup side (oooh, don't pick the wrong one
    >on this step!!)
    >3. Run Task Manager. Look for the programs bpbkar32.exe , bpfis.exe, and

    >bpjava-msvc.exe . If they are running, end them.
    >4. Re-enable the NIC
    >5. Start the Vertias client service again
    >

    >Steps 2 and 4 were done in my environment, where the systems are on 2
    >networks: The production one, and the backup one. Those steps probably
    >are not needed, in either a single or dual network environment.
    >
    >Hope this helps someone! I also hope Veritas sees this, and puts code
    >into the agent to shut down ALL of it when the service is shut down.
    >
    >Sean

+ Reply to Thread