Chaning Search Depth/speed on Wintel client for restores - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Chaning Search Depth/speed on Wintel client for restores - Veritas Net Backup ; Here's the scenario: A 2K client is starts the Netbackup client to do a restore. When they fire up the Select for Restore, it takes around 30 min for the initial list to show up. What I want to do ...

  1. Chaning Search Depth/speed on Wintel client for restores

    Here's the scenario: A 2K client is starts the Netbackup client to do
    a restore. When they fire up the Select for Restore, it takes around
    30 min for the initial list to show up. What I want to do is change
    the initial search depth that the client uses when it fires up the
    "Select for Restore" to 1 (so it only shows the drives, then when you
    drill down, it only expands out the current path).

    Asking me to do a search instead of drilling thru the explorer window
    isn't helpful since you need to start the "Select for Restore" stuff
    before you can do a search for a restore

    Or, maybe there's another way to speed up (and/or limit) the search
    range when selecting for restores?
    I checked the docs, no love there.

    Thanks
    Andy in SDCA

  2. Re: Chaning Search Depth/speed on Wintel client for restores

    what about the following chapter in the administration manual
    Improve Search Times by Creating an Image List there is also a chapter on
    indexing

    and to aswer your question ( p529 ) :

    Perform default search

    Applies to Microsoft Windows clients. Selecting this option causes NetBackup

    automatically search the default range of backup images and display the
    backed up

    folders and files whenever a restore window is opened.

    Clear this box to disable the initial search. The NetBackup Restore window
    will then not

    show any files or folders when initially opened. Clicking a backup image, or
    selecting a

    range of backup images, starts a search.

    By default, this box is selected.

    "Andrew T" wrote in message
    > Here's the scenario: A 2K client is starts the Netbackup client to do
    > a restore. When they fire up the Select for Restore, it takes around
    > 30 min for the initial list to show up. What I want to do is change
    > the initial search depth that the client uses when it fires up the
    > "Select for Restore" to 1 (so it only shows the drives, then when you
    > drill down, it only expands out the current path).
    >
    > Asking me to do a search instead of drilling thru the explorer window
    > isn't helpful since you need to start the "Select for Restore" stuff
    > before you can do a search for a restore
    >
    > Or, maybe there's another way to speed up (and/or limit) the search
    > range when selecting for restores?
    > I checked the docs, no love there.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Andy in SDCA

  3. Re: Chaning Search Depth/speed on Wintel client for restores

    On Fri, 27 Dec 2002 10:36:22 -0000, "the 13th warrior"
    wrote:

    >what about the following chapter in the administration manual
    >Improve Search Times by Creating an Image List there is also a chapter on
    >indexing
    >
    >and to aswer your question ( p529 ) :
    >
    >Perform default search
    >
    >Applies to Microsoft Windows clients. Selecting this option causes NetBackup
    >
    >automatically search the default range of backup images and display the
    >backed up
    >
    >folders and files whenever a restore window is opened.
    >
    >Clear this box to disable the initial search. The NetBackup Restore window
    >will then not
    >
    >show any files or folders when initially opened. Clicking a backup image, or
    >selecting a
    >
    >range of backup images, starts a search.
    >
    >By default, this box is selected.

    I saw that and was hoping there was something client-side I could do.
    I don't have power over the backup server (in this case)

    Andy

    >"Andrew T" wrote in message
    >> Here's the scenario: A 2K client is starts the Netbackup client to do
    >> a restore. When they fire up the Select for Restore, it takes around
    >> 30 min for the initial list to show up. What I want to do is change
    >> the initial search depth that the client uses when it fires up the
    >> "Select for Restore" to 1 (so it only shows the drives, then when you
    >> drill down, it only expands out the current path).
    >>
    >> Asking me to do a search instead of drilling thru the explorer window
    >> isn't helpful since you need to start the "Select for Restore" stuff
    >> before you can do a search for a restore
    >>
    >> Or, maybe there's another way to speed up (and/or limit) the search
    >> range when selecting for restores?
    >> I checked the docs, no love there.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Andy in SDCA

  4. Re: Chaning Search Depth/speed on Wintel client for restores

    > I saw that and was hoping there was something client-side I could do.
    > I don't have power over the backup server (in this case)

    from my understanding this parameter " Applies to Microsoft Windows clients
    " not the master server .Very easy to prove open your registry on the client
    and change this option you will see the change in hkeylocal
    machine/software/veritas/netbackup/currentversion/config

  5. Re: Chaning Search Depth/speed on Wintel client for restores

    On Sun, 29 Dec 2002 13:23:34 -0000, "the 13th warrior"
    wrote:

    >> I saw that and was hoping there was something client-side I could do.
    >> I don't have power over the backup server (in this case)

    >from my understanding this parameter " Applies to Microsoft Windows clients
    >" not the master server .Very easy to prove open your registry on the client
    >and change this option you will see the change in hkeylocal
    >machine/software/veritas/netbackup/currentversion/config

    I'm an idiot
    Thanx,
    Andy in San diego

+ Reply to Thread