Differences of BENT & NBU - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Differences of BENT & NBU - Veritas Net Backup ; Hello, I'm debating whether or not to upgrade from BENT 7.3 to 8.6 or move up to NetBackup Business Server. We currently have 8 servers (6NT (File/Print/DB/Exchange), 2 Win2k File/Print/Web), and a couple 9x clients that are backing up about ...

  1. Differences of BENT & NBU

    Hello,

    I'm debating whether or not to upgrade from BENT 7.3 to 8.6 or move up to
    NetBackup Business Server. We currently have 8 servers (6NT
    (File/Print/DB/Exchange), 2 Win2k File/Print/Web), and a couple 9x clients
    that are backing up about 60GB to an HP Autoloader (412) that has a DLT4000.

    So I'm trying to figure out what are the benefits/reasons to upgrade from
    BackupExec to NetBackup. I see that NetBackup will read up to 8
    datastreams, which I'm hoping will decrease my backup times since the 412
    autoloader can't be upgraded to a bigger DLT. Also, when upgrading from
    BENT, will it read all my catalogs and settings or do I have to start from
    scratch? I read an old post that said that 4.5 has a BENT option that you
    can buy that will do this.

    Can someone shed some light?

    Thanks,
    Brian

  2. Re: Differences of BENT & NBU

    We will move from BE 8.6 to NetBackup (Datacenter in our case)

    Main reasons for moving away from BE was:
    No tape-duplication
    Not more then one copy of a backup version of a file
    Poor performance
    No support from Veritas that we could use for anything
    Lack of features in general

    Version 4.5 of NBU will have a BE option and for no extra cost (at least
    that is what Veritas told me on the DataCenter version)

    /johnny

    "Brian Grigg" wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm debating whether or not to upgrade from BENT 7.3 to 8.6 or move up to
    > NetBackup Business Server. We currently have 8 servers (6NT
    > (File/Print/DB/Exchange), 2 Win2k File/Print/Web), and a couple 9x clients
    > that are backing up about 60GB to an HP Autoloader (412) that has a

    DLT4000.

    > So I'm trying to figure out what are the benefits/reasons to upgrade from
    > BackupExec to NetBackup. I see that NetBackup will read up to 8
    > datastreams, which I'm hoping will decrease my backup times since the 412
    > autoloader can't be upgraded to a bigger DLT. Also, when upgrading from
    > BENT, will it read all my catalogs and settings or do I have to start from
    > scratch? I read an old post that said that 4.5 has a BENT option that you
    > can buy that will do this.
    >
    > Can someone shed some light?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Brian

  3. Re: Differences of BENT & NBU

    Given the number of servers you have and the cost/complexity of Netbackup, I
    would recommend sticking with Backupexec. Backupexec may not have the
    enterprise features of Netbackup, but it is a lot easier to use in small
    environments.

    "Johnny Oestergaard" wrote in message
    > We will move from BE 8.6 to NetBackup (Datacenter in our case)
    >
    > Main reasons for moving away from BE was:
    > No tape-duplication
    > Not more then one copy of a backup version of a file
    > Poor performance
    > No support from Veritas that we could use for anything
    > Lack of features in general
    >
    > Version 4.5 of NBU will have a BE option and for no extra cost (at least
    > that is what Veritas told me on the DataCenter version)
    >
    > /johnny
    >
    > "Brian Grigg" wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I'm debating whether or not to upgrade from BENT 7.3 to 8.6 or move up

    > > NetBackup Business Server. We currently have 8 servers (6NT
    > > (File/Print/DB/Exchange), 2 Win2k File/Print/Web), and a couple 9x

    clients
    > > that are backing up about 60GB to an HP Autoloader (412) that has a

    > DLT4000.
    > >
    > > So I'm trying to figure out what are the benefits/reasons to upgrade

    from
    > > BackupExec to NetBackup. I see that NetBackup will read up to 8
    > > datastreams, which I'm hoping will decrease my backup times since the

    412
    > > autoloader can't be upgraded to a bigger DLT. Also, when upgrading from
    > > BENT, will it read all my catalogs and settings or do I have to start

    from
    > > scratch? I read an old post that said that 4.5 has a BENT option that

    you
    > > can buy that will do this.
    > >
    > > Can someone shed some light?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Brian

  4. Re: Differences of BENT & NBU

    Brent,

    What if I said cost wasn't an issue?

    Also, will I get better performance from NetBackup like Johnny mentioned?

    Thanks,
    Brian

    "brent" wrote in message news:3c996dda@hronntp01....
    > Given the number of servers you have and the cost/complexity of Netbackup,

    > would recommend sticking with Backupexec. Backupexec may not have the
    > enterprise features of Netbackup, but it is a lot easier to use in small
    > environments.
    >

    > "Johnny Oestergaard" wrote in message
    > > We will move from BE 8.6 to NetBackup (Datacenter in our case)
    > >
    > > Main reasons for moving away from BE was:
    > > No tape-duplication
    > > Not more then one copy of a backup version of a file
    > > Poor performance
    > > No support from Veritas that we could use for anything
    > > Lack of features in general
    > >
    > > Version 4.5 of NBU will have a BE option and for no extra cost (at least
    > > that is what Veritas told me on the DataCenter version)
    > >
    > > /johnny
    > >
    > > "Brian Grigg" wrote in message
    > > > Hello,
    > > >
    > > > I'm debating whether or not to upgrade from BENT 7.3 to 8.6 or move up

    > > > NetBackup Business Server. We currently have 8 servers (6NT
    > > > (File/Print/DB/Exchange), 2 Win2k File/Print/Web), and a couple 9x

    > clients
    > > > that are backing up about 60GB to an HP Autoloader (412) that has a

    > > DLT4000.
    > > >
    > > > So I'm trying to figure out what are the benefits/reasons to upgrade

    > from
    > > > BackupExec to NetBackup. I see that NetBackup will read up to 8
    > > > datastreams, which I'm hoping will decrease my backup times since the

    > 412
    > > > autoloader can't be upgraded to a bigger DLT. Also, when upgrading

    from
    > > > BENT, will it read all my catalogs and settings or do I have to start

    > from
    > > > scratch? I read an old post that said that 4.5 has a BENT option that

    > you
    > > > can buy that will do this.
    > > >
    > > > Can someone shed some light?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > > Brian

  5. Re: Differences of BENT & NBU

    Yes, performance is better with Netbackup (not much better if you are
    running NT, but it is better). There is no scheduler in Netbackup, you give
    the job a time "window" to run in instead. I disagree with Johnny's
    statement about support for BackupExec; if you purchase maintenance, it is
    there.
    Version 4.5 has no official release date yet so, don't let that be a factor
    in your decision. The current version has no way of reading BackupExec
    tapes. You can't run BackupExec and Netbackup services at the same time
    either. They cause problems with one another. We just upgraded to
    Netbackup, it is a good product, but we are running more than 75 servers.
    If you do upgrade to Netbackup, ask your sales rep about the upgrade license
    for BackupExec to Netbackup. There isn't an upgrade for all the clients,
    but there is for your backup servers. (they won't tell you about it unless
    you ask though). I can send you item numbers for the upgrades if you want,
    just email me direct. (junkTX@utsa.edu)
    REMOVE THE TX to email me.

    One more note - - if you purchase Netbackup, they also require that you
    purchase support. for everything you buy.

    > Brent,
    >
    > What if I said cost wasn't an issue?
    >
    > Also, will I get better performance from NetBackup like Johnny mentioned?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Brian
    >
    > "brent" wrote in message news:3c996dda@hronntp01....
    > > Given the number of servers you have and the cost/complexity of

    Netbackup,
    > > would recommend sticking with Backupexec. Backupexec may not have the
    > > enterprise features of Netbackup, but it is a lot easier to use in small
    > > environments.
    > >

    > > "Johnny Oestergaard" wrote in message
    > > > We will move from BE 8.6 to NetBackup (Datacenter in our case)
    > > >
    > > > Main reasons for moving away from BE was:
    > > > No tape-duplication
    > > > Not more then one copy of a backup version of a file
    > > > Poor performance
    > > > No support from Veritas that we could use for anything
    > > > Lack of features in general
    > > >
    > > > Version 4.5 of NBU will have a BE option and for no extra cost (at

    least
    > > > that is what Veritas told me on the DataCenter version)
    > > >
    > > > /johnny
    > > >
    > > > "Brian Grigg" wrote in message

    up

    > > clients
    > > > DLT4000.

    > > from

    the
    > > 412

    > from

    start
    > > from

    that
    > > you

  6. Re: Differences of BENT & NBU

    We have a support contract and that doesn't help us.
    The people that should support us know less about the product then we do.
    I live in Denmark so it can be that you get your support from somewhere
    different then where I get it.

    About performance we just hope that NBU can push our tape hardware to the
    limit. BE can't do that.

    /johnny

+ Reply to Thread