Duplicating Backups - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Duplicating Backups - Veritas Net Backup ; I understand NetBackup has a feature over that of Backup Exec in that there is an option to clone tapes. Does anyone know how this works, I take it wouldn't provide a simultaneous write to two separate tape devices? I ...

  1. Duplicating Backups

    I understand NetBackup has a feature over that of Backup Exec in that there
    is an option to clone tapes. Does anyone know how this works, I take it
    wouldn't provide a simultaneous write to two separate tape devices? I
    suspect though I can't find any details, is that it simply performs a copy
    of one tape to another as an independent job.

    The reason I ask is that the business would like to perform a weekly full
    backup but leave one copy of the tape in the library in case of any urgent
    restores and then take the copy offsite for DR.

    If NetBackup does offer such a feature I don't suppose there's any easy
    upgrade path from BExec 8.6?

    Many thanks

  2. Re: Duplicating Backups

    VERITAS NetBackup duplicates images NOT tapes. It can be done from the GUI
    or command line. I don't know about the migration from BExec to NBU. I have
    heard that NBU 4.5 will be able to read backupexec images. But that may just
    be a rumor.

    "Iain" wrote:
    >I understand NetBackup has a feature over that of Backup Exec in that there
    >is an option to clone tapes. Does anyone know how this works, I take it
    >wouldn't provide a simultaneous write to two separate tape devices? I
    >suspect though I can't find any details, is that it simply performs a copy
    >of one tape to another as an independent job.
    >
    >The reason I ask is that the business would like to perform a weekly full
    >backup but leave one copy of the tape in the library in case of any urgent
    >restores and then take the copy offsite for DR.
    >
    >If NetBackup does offer such a feature I don't suppose there's any easy
    >upgrade path from BExec 8.6?
    >
    >Many thanks

  3. Re: Duplicating Backups

    In NBU 4.5 there will be an BE option.

    This should make it more easy to migrate from BE to NBU.

    NBU 4.5 should be out in april.

    /johnny

    "Iain" wrote in message news:3c91fa8a@hronntp01....
    > I understand NetBackup has a feature over that of Backup Exec in that

    there
    > is an option to clone tapes. Does anyone know how this works, I take it
    > wouldn't provide a simultaneous write to two separate tape devices? I
    > suspect though I can't find any details, is that it simply performs a copy
    > of one tape to another as an independent job.
    >
    > The reason I ask is that the business would like to perform a weekly full
    > backup but leave one copy of the tape in the library in case of any urgent
    > restores and then take the copy offsite for DR.
    >
    > If NetBackup does offer such a feature I don't suppose there's any easy
    > upgrade path from BExec 8.6?
    >
    > Many thanks

+ Reply to Thread